Digital Matte Painter (DMP)
- Toronto, ON, Canada
MR. X is an award-winning Visual Effects company that thrives on crafting creative solutions to seemingly-impossible scripted moments in film and television. From the outset we engage filmmakers in a true collaborative partnership to realize and deliver visuals that tell their stories.
- Create photorealistic backgrounds and environments to match the overall look and feel of the film;
- Combine skills in painting and 3D with knowledge of composition, design, photography, and digital modeling to create two-dimensional and three-dimensional images for film with or without the use of conceptual mock-ups;
- Provides foreground, mid-ground, and background paintings for use in 2D, 2.5D and 3D environments;
- Assists with troubleshooting the background components created;
- Contribute to the visual and technical attributes of the production;
- Produce or assist in developing and producing design concepts, including characters and environments.
- Create elements in a variety of styles such as drawings, illustrations, graphics, colour harmonization / colour scripts, etc. using a computer
- Performing tasks such as layout, matte extraction, colour correction, paint fixes, roto and assembly of live action and 3D elements,
- Contribute to the visual and technical attributes of the production.
- Specific duties to be determined on a project by project basis.
- Bachelor's degree in illustration, industrial design, or fine art preferred;
- 2.5D / 3D projecting experience (3D generalist or Nuke compositing experience) is a plus;
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written;
- Strong knowledge of photography is a bonus, especially in relation to lenses;
- Demonstrable skills in Concept design desirable but not essential;
- Mari, Vue and/or Modo experience would be an asset.
- Skilled in painting photo-real images using photo reference to create the highest quality digital set extensions, skies, elements, and environments;
- Strong traditional art skills including knowledge of color, lighting, perspective, and composition;
- Strong artistic flexibility, versatility, ability to match and/or adapt painting style to suit a range of production designs;
- Advanced 2D skills in Photoshop and/or Mari with 3D experience, preferably in Maya;
- Ability to complete work within the bid timeframe, while maintaining constant communication with production teams and other CG artists.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.