Senior Software Developer
- Adelaide SA, Australia
Mill Film is a newly launched visual effects studio with locations in Adelaide- Australia, Bangalore- India and Montreal- Canada, working on VFX for feature films and episodic content. With talent diversity and equality at the heart of Mill Film’s culture, we want to inspire the next generation of visual effects artists, to create a dynamic pool of talent and work with the latest technologies on ground-breaking productions.
Mill Film builds inclusion and diversity into the foundation of the studio. We believe that inclusion and diversity are the solution to delivering excellence in creative VFX for our clients. We foster a culture of respectful candor, where artists, production and technologists come together to build a talent community devoted to realizing industry leading VFX solutions for feature and episodic content for major Studios.
We are hiring a Senior Software Developer for our visual effects tool set in our software team. Capable of delivering award-winning technical solutions to creative challenges we are looking for someone able contribute directly to the success and timely delivery of some of the most technically challenging and widely recognized movies in production.
To work hand-in-hand with our artists, providing the tools and technologies used to create the stunning imagery for our films. It is a highly dynamic environment, which requires a cool head, creative thinking and pragmatic problem solving. The team needs people who are able to take initiative, develop software of the highest quality, and think beyond the scope of each development task - our environment thrives on the ability to communicate complex problems in a simple form to team members, stakeholders and all the way through to users of the system. We require our developers to support the full life cycle of our software projects from design to maintenance, while constantly improving the software to address new challenges!
We are looking for a software developer with an excellent grasp of VFX processes and pipeline. The role will be responsible for the further improvement of our software tools and technologies including our
flagship tools such as Alice, Kali, Furtility, Volumetrics tools and more.
- Work with Lead to ensure that implementations are consistent with overall Software department strategy.
- Work with and mentor more junior members of the team to help resolve issues and solve problems.
- Communication of tasks, challenges and workflows across a globally distributed team.
- Design and architect cutting edge tools and technologies while maintaining existing stack.
- Contribute technical and user facing documentation.
- Building relationships with key artists and production staff.
- Work with teams cross site in the development of pipeline tools for a multi-site studio.
Skills and Experience
- At least 5-8 years of experience in a VFX facility (or equivalent industry).
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a Technical Animation Degree.
- Strong understanding of computer graphics, mathematics, and physics/simulation.
- Advanced knowledge of C++ and Python. Lua is a bonus.
- Expert with Linux operating system and developing on this platform.
- Advanced knowledge of key VFX application APIs - Maya, Katana, Houdini and/or Nuke.
- Experience with Pixar USD is a plus.
- Experience using development best practices.
- Experience designing simple UX for complex back end functionality.
- Experience with asset management APIs and dependency handling.
- Experience with software testing best practices including unit, integration, and systems testing.
- Experience with Agile software development using frameworks such as SCRUM is encouraged.
- Highly committed and able to work independently and as a team.
- Positive attitude towards learning.
- Extremely organized with good communication skills and an excellent attention to detail.
- Deadline orientated and ability to remain calm in a fast-paced and high pressure environment.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in the dynamic world of visual effects.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.