Pipeline Technical Director
- Toronto, ON, Canada
About Technicolor VFX:
Technicolor’s premier, downtown-based Post Production house in Toronto offers cutting-edge audio and video post services for Feature Film and TV/Episodic productions from set to screen.
Our Toronto facility is connected to Technicolor’s worldwide network of operations and has a full range of services, including: front-end, dailies, VFX and sound and colour finishing. We collaborate closely with storytellers to ensure that their visions are brought to life.
Pipeline Technical Director
The Pipeline Technical Director is primarily responsible for developing and maintaining the VFX pipeline while also building on tools/scripts that enhance workflows through the VFX pipeline and shot database.
The collective goal is to generate exciting visuals using powerful and efficient tools and workflows.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design systems, maintain existing tools, and support artists and leads in their production tasks.
- Troubleshoot creative and technical issues.
- Support and work with multiple production departments including Layout, Previz, Animation, Fx and CFx.
- Maintain a high degree of quality, attention to detail, and level of communication while designing and implementing solutions within the existing pipeline.
- Remain abreast of new and emerging technologies and attempt to implement them effectively.
- Ensure that all software development follows studio policies and guidelines.
- Design, develop, test, and maintain VFX production pipeline custom software tools and components.
- Work closely with the Head of Technology, CG Supervisors, and other leads/supervisors to help engineer solutions (tools and workflow) for pipeline enhancements and fixes
- Investigate bugs/issues with existing tools, while designing and implementing fixes and features as needed
- Mentor and provide guidance to junior members of the team
- Assist in production floor support
- Work directly with artists to investigate and address urgent issues related to custom pipeline tools.
- 3+ years of experience in feature animation or VFX production pipeline technology.
- A Computer Science Degree (or equivalent), or 5+ years experience in production pipeline technology work.
- Proficiency in Python.
- Proficiency in Linux shell scripting, specifically bash scripting.
- Proficiency using one or more industry-specific vendor software applications: Maya, Katana, Houdini, Nuke, etc.
- Proficiency with one or more vendor Scripting APIs: MEL / Maya Python, Katana, Houdini, Nuke, etc.
- Proficiency with writing Shotgun Python API scripts, as well as managing Shotgun site configurations and Shotgun projects using the Shotgun web UI.
- A strong understanding of production processes and artist workflows within film and television visual effects pipelines.