- Toronto, ON, Canada
About Technicolor VFX:
Technicolor’s premier, downtown-based Post Production house in Toronto offers cutting-edge audio and video post services for Feature Film and TV/Episodic productions from set to screen.
Our Toronto facility is connected to Technicolor’s worldwide network of operations and has a full range of services, including: front-end, dailies, VFX and sound and colour finishing. We collaborate closely with storytellers to ensure that their visions are brought to life.
The CG Supervisor oversees the 3D department and pipeline. They should demonstrate mastery of the toolsets, techniques, workflows and leadership skills to effectively lead the CG team, both technically and artistically. They would report into the Creative Director.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work collaboratively with team members, Creative Director, Art Director, VFX Supervisors, Technical Director & Producers to effectively and efficiently meet client expectations.
- Partner with producers in scheduling and delegating tasks to 3D artists.
- Work with management team to provide on-going feedback and performance appraisal on artists.
- Work globally with engaging other VFX sites.
- Coach and mentor Junior and Mid-level artists in the 3D teams.
- Assist in the recruitment and selection process to ensure the 3D teams are equipped with the skillset needed for project requirement.
- Collaborate with Creative Director, Art Director and VFX Supervisors to ensure the artistic style, quality, and continuity matches client’s vision and standards.
- Supervise the CG elements from concept to finish and monitor all elements created by artists
- Oversee and create quality 3D Models, Animations, Textures, Lighting, Layout, Rendering and Shading within a render pipeline.
- Review and quality control throughout the entire creative process.
- Problem-solve creative and technical problems under tight deadlines.
- Create, manage, supervise photo-realistic visual effects (animations, fx, layout, rigging, crowds, lighting, asset, etc.) as required.
- Assisting in quoting of CG oriented sequences.
- Lead CG staff in methodology and solutions for CG shots/sequences and also be able to setup & manage smaller units over larger projects.
- An excellent working knowledge of and production experience with Maya and rendering in RedShift and/or Arnold.
- Must have 3-5+ years experience creating photo-realistic visual effects for feature film and/or high-end television series using Maya.
- Possess strong modeling, texturing & look development skills.
- Experience with dynamics and rigging a plus.
- Experience with Houdini/Zbrush/Mudbox/Mari/Substance Painter/Designer, PFTrack, 3D Equalizer, Nuke or After Effects & Linux a plus.
- Must be able to take direction/critiques positively and thrive under the pressure of tight deadlines.
- Must be able to work in our Toronto facility.
- Experience in dealing and communicating with clients.
- Excellent organization, communication and interpersonal skills.
- A pro-active and collaborative work ethic.
- A strong eye for detail, composition, colour and lighting.
- A strong resume, demo reel and references.
- Knowledge of practical lighting for photography.
- A working knowledge of the overall VFX pipeline.
- Good understanding of an alembic workflow.
- Programming and coding experience and knowledge.