HR Advisor / Talent Manager
- Montreal, QC, Canada
Mill Film is a newly launched visual effects studio with locations in Adelaide- Australia, Bangalore- India and Montreal- Canada, working on VFX for feature films and episodic content. With talent diversity and equality at the heart of Mill Film’s culture, we want to inspire the next generation of visual effects artists, to create a dynamic pool of talent and work with the latest technologies on ground-breaking productions.
Mill Film builds inclusion and diversity into the foundation of the studio. We believe that inclusion and diversity are the solution to delivering excellence in creative VFX for our clients. We foster a culture of respectful candor, where artists, production and technologists come together to build a talent community devoted to realizing industry leading VFX solutions for feature and episodic content for major Studios.
Reporting to the Global Senior Talent Manager, the Talent Manager provides support and advice to artists and managers and partners closely with members of the Management team in a true business partner approach. The Talent Manager has direct responsibility for dedicated departments and areas to manage all the Talent related aspects to ensuring an integrated, progressive, proactive, and flexible, yet consistent approach.
We are growing exponentially and need someone who can hit the ground running! We’re looking to hire an enthusiastic Talent Manager with well-rounded HR experience, an ability to manage his or her learning of multiple processes and policies and is comfortable with autonomy and taking direction. You will be hands-on and involved in the more 'day to day' requirements for both our Montreal studio, navigating the wider Global context and collaborating on company initiatives.
- Management and Leadership Development
- Partner with Department Managers and Heads of Department (HODs) to coach and guide in talent attraction, retention and development, contract and policy application, performance management, training and development, and compensation practices.
- Support the development of the Department Managers and wider management group to reinforce company culture, instill values, and create a sustainable leadership and management team.
- Assume responsibility for ensuring that management in dedicated departments understand and adhere to the boundaries, policies and processes in which we operate. Including, broadening their understanding of the employment relationship whilst balancing it with the risks and operational demands.
- Partner with management to ensure that messaging and communications with individuals and teams is reflective of the business strategies and culture.
- Facilitate and deliver internal training sessions for the development of management
- Manage high volume cycle of artists’ contracts ending/renewals; reviewing contract end dates in the context of changing work demands and crewing options with management in order to communicate changes to artists in a global environment.
- Manage downtime/redundancy planning and management within dedicated departments, including assessing the risks associated with individuals, team and wider business
- Work alongside production to ensure appropriate scheduling as a whole is in line with local legal requirements
- Management of internal transfers
- Oversee immigration and right to work management in the context of talent planning within dedicated departments
- Support a high volume of international employees
- Have a holistic view of all the talent aspects within the department partnered with including Recruitment and Training/L&D
- Support the Head or Senior Talent Manager in driving the implementation of identifying and retaining talent as well as skill gaps and high potential employees. Ensure teams have the right employees in the right place at the right time.
- Define development and succession planning in dedicated departments. Employ feedback mechanisms to help them better manage large dynamic and high performance teams.
- Identify high performers and successors to key positions within dedicated departments to make sure we have flexible teams prepared for change and growth.
- Help the Head or Senior Talent Manager drive the need to evaluate performance and development of teams to ensure talent is managed in a consistent and measurable way so everyone is aligned, accountable, and paid fairly.
- Create, support, present and implement talent retention plans in dedicated departments
- Responsible for noticing trends, reducing unconscious bias when recruiting, promoting and looking opportunities within the department partnered with
- Effectively and regularly analyse talent data to manage perceptions and present opportunities
- Responsibility for dedicated departments’ labour budgets- tracking, analysing and target management
- Working with the Head or Senior Talent Manager on management of salary planning for dedicated departments ensuring that budgets are used effectively and fairly
- Annual Pay review and benchmarking management
- Ensure dedicated departments understand and adhere to compensation policies
- Run compensation analytics
- Promotion management
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships by building trust and accountability to establish partnerships with management and artists.
- Provide ER advice and support, including performance management, formal processes, absence management etc.
Company Brand and engagement
- Champion a positive and creative culture of high performance, supporting the brand as a global industry leader in visual effects.
- Partner with Talent colleagues to support the development of the brand’s Talent approach
- Conduct new hire orientation, facilitate other training and promote the Brand’s culture through various company initiatives.
- Actively participate in department meetings by presenting company information and being the representative of the Talent organization on the floor
- Academic training in Human Resource
- Experience in a changing business environment
- Strong working knowledge of employment legislation
- Successful approach to managing multiple stakeholders and priorities
- Proven upstream and downstream communications skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to communicate assertively and diplomatically with a diverse population
- Solutions-focused approach to challenges and good business acumen
- Confident presentation and public speaking skills
- Experience in a technology, creative or artistic environment preferred
- Extremely high attention to detail, and accountability to deliverables
- Professional demeanour and utmost discretion pertaining to employee information
- Proven ability to work as part of a team in a very fast paced, deadline-driven environment
- Strong MS Office Skills including Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Genuine in integrating Diversity and inclusion ethos
- Spoken and written French and English a must