Head of Production - Mill Film Montreal
- Montreal, QC, Canada
Mill Film is a newly launched visual effects studio with locations in Adelaide- Australia, Bangalore- India and Montreal- Canada, working on VFX for feature films and episodic content. With talent diversity and equality at the heart of Mill Film’s culture, we want to inspire the next generation of visual effects artists, to create a dynamic pool of talent and work with the latest technologies on ground-breaking productions.
Working closely with the Global Managing Director, Head of Creative operations, VFX Producers, and Central Production, you are responsible for managing a highly dynamic planning and scheduling function for all shows across the studio to maximize productivity and capacity effectiveness.
This role will also involve the identification of all changes and issues relevant to resource planning and the associated corrective action management. The Head of Production informs decisions within the business and gives visibility through data analysis of potential risks and opportunities. The Head of Production is also responsible for the staffing of all production roles across the Company.
This is an exciting opportunity and challenge which will require you to draw on your communication, interpersonal skills and analytical skills across multiple department and stakeholders, all the while delivering on project’s timeline, scope and budget. You are flexible and agile with changing demands and have tolerance for ambiguity. A resilient thinker, you have a highly developed project management sensibility and thorough understanding of VFX Pipelines, VFX Production scheduling toolsets and can negotiate effectively with technology and software departments. You champion diversity, are deliberate in inclusiveness and culturally competent.
Mill Film has a legacy which includes an Academy Award for Visual Effects, we set the creative bar high and work hard to deliver creative excellence, as a champion for the production function at the studio you understand that effective project leadership and management facilitate that creative excellence.
· Hiring Manager for Producers, Production Managers, Coordinators and Assistants
· Assess the plan for future resource requirements, based on outputs from show production bidding, levels of attrition and skills shortages, ensuring headcount and utilization levels are in line with the show requirements
· Optimize the utilization of staff across the studio, prioritizing work and partnering with the management teams to drive resource allocation decisions
· Work with Head of Creative Operations to ensure artist and production competency frameworks are maintained and corrective action taken where appropriate
· Participates in and presents analyses and resourcing reports in leadership meetings and working sessions
· Build and maintain close relationships with the resources and Heads of Department functions along with local and off-site senior management teams.
· Leverage resources of related departments to address the studios resource and capacity challenges
· Keep documents tracking the department crews, and show assignments
· Demonstrate readiness to interrogate reports, dig into the reality on the floor and witness first hand performance in order to provide training and course correction.
· Primary stakeholder for Software, R&D and production tools for the department.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
· Strong working knowledge of bidding VFX and/or Episodic content
· Strong excel skills
· Evidence high tolerance for change and experience of delivering change management at a project or company-wide level
· Demonstrable client management experience
· Producer experience in VFX Feature or Episodic
· 4-6 years of training and management experience in a fast-paced production environment
· Ability to oversee, analyze and maintain a budget
· Experience leading teams through change management
· Proven experience of strategic scheduling
· Proven ability to work effectively cross-site
· Resilient thinker
· Strong sense of team dynamics and a positive morale generating style
· Able to successfully oversee projects with changing demands
· Able to communicate with a range of people at all department levels with highly developed interpersonal skills
· Excellent problem-solving, negotiation and influencing skills
· Able to communicate and understand feedback
· Analytical, flexible and results-oriented
· Strong adaptability
· Strong time management
· Ability to mentor junior staff
· Inclusive and culturally aware and competent
Mill Film builds inclusion and diversity into the foundation of the studio. We believe that inclusion and diversity are the solution to delivering excellence in creative VFX for our clients. We foster a culture of respectful candor, where artists, production and technologists come together to build a talent community devoted to realizing industry leading VFX solutions for feature and episodic content for major Studios.