Pipeline Technical Director
- Los Angeles, CA, USA
Technicolor VFX is the best of both worlds, we can work with you as standalone VFX creatives, or fully integrated with our Technicolor Post family to support your vision from script to screen. From Features to Episodic, our Creative Directors work with their expert teams to provide on set supervision, with a full CG VFX pipeline, we are specialists in digital make up, character enhancement, environments and compositing. Our creative VFX teams are located in London, Toronto and Los Angeles, making Technicolor VFX global in size but local in feel.
The Pipeline Technical Director is responsible primarily to develop and maintain the VFX pipeline. The role will develop custom software tools and components as well as building on tools/scripts that enhance workflows through the VFX pipeline and shot database. The collective goal is to generate exciting visuals using powerful and efficient tools and workflows. The pipeline supports large environments, complex FX simulation, and our rapidly growing creature department.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design systems, maintain existing tools, and support artists and leads in their production tasks
- Troubleshoot creative and technical issues.
- Support and work with multiple production departments including Layout, Previz, Animation, FX and CFX.
- Maintain a high degree of quality, attention to detail, and level of communication while designing and implementing solutions within the existing pipeline.
- Remain abreast of new and emerging technologies and attempt to implement them effectively.
- Ensure that all software development follows studio policies and guidelines.
- 3+ years of experience in feature animation or VFX production pipeline technology.
- A Computer Science Degree (or equivalent), or 5+ years’ experience in production pipeline technology work.
- Proficiency in Python.
- Proficiency in Linux shell scripting, specifically bash scripting.
- Proficiency using one or more industry-specific vendor software applications: Maya, Houdini, Nuke, etc.
- Proficiency with one or more vendor Scripting APIs: Maya Python, Houdini Python, Nuke Python, etc.
- Proficiency in using the Git version control system.
- Proficiency in developing graphical user interfaces preferable using PyQt.
- Proficiency in using the Shotgun asset management system along with the Shotgun Toolkit API.
- A strong understanding of production processes and artist workflows within film and television visual effects pipelines.
- Proficiency working with one or more render queue managers (e.g. Deadline, Tractor, etc.)
- Investigating bugs/issues with existing tools, while designing and implementing fixes and features as needed.
- Mentoring and providing guidance to junior members of the team.
- Assisting in production floor support.
- Working directly with artists to investigate and address urgent issues related to custom pipeline tools.
Technicolor is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, medical condition (including genetic characteristics), mental and/or physical disability or handicap, marital status, sex, age, veteran status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity, political party preference, political belief, socioeconomic status, familial status, registered domestic partner status, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions and any other characteristic or activity protected by federal, state or local law.