- Toronto, ON, Canada
Technicolor is the world’s leading film and television visual effects, animation, and post services business. London headquartered Film & TV VFX is the primary segment under Technicolor Production Services, A division of Euronext listed Technicolor SA group. The segment consists of three brands: MPC Film, Mr. X and Mill Film. Film & TV VFX is a key pillar of Technicolor’s growth and future strategy.
Mr.X is an award-winning visual effects studio that thrives on crafting creative solutions to seemingly-impossible scripted moments in film and television. We’re made up of a unique and gifted team of artists, filmmakers and programmers devoted to the art, craft and technology of visual storytelling. Our talented staff, committed to quality above all else, has achieved some of the most original and photo-realistic visual effects and animation seen on film to date.
Based in Toronto, this key position will be reporting to Film & TV Deputy Finance Director (based in London) and will be an integral part of the future success of our facility in Toronto. Working closely with the local Studio management and the film producers, the role will ensure that we run our business as effectively as possible and that resources are in place to deliver the shows in the most cost effective and efficient ways as possible.
Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Build trusted relationships across all levels within the organization and act as primary liaison between local management and rest of Technicolor group as required
- Willingness to challenge the status quo of how things are done and continuously look to do things better
- Lead and develop finance team, and proactively engage with rest of FTV management team globally as necessary
- Ownership of all processes and outputs linked to monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements (incorporating, actuals, budgets, forecasts, cash flows and balance sheet reconciliations)
- Prepare and present Business Unit actual performance reviews and analysis of potential variance in results, including Working Capital and Free Cash Flow.
- Compute variances and identify reasons for the difference between actual, forecast and budgeted figures and escalate issues as appropriate
- Lead development of tools / processes which can be cascaded across Mill Film and Mr. X
- Work closely with shared Technicolor resources both in Canada and in Mexico;
o Ensuring they provide all the necessary support (GL and AP team) to maintain accurate numbers, reconcile SAP to BW to Magnitude, accurate BS reconciliation, IG transactions, revaluation entries;
o Leverage scale and avoid duplication of processes if they can be done centrally
- Analyses and develops performance indicators, based on current and past trends, makes recommendations to the management team using agreed KPIs
- Support team in LA as needed
- Prepare Business Unit budget, forecasts and management reporting. Ensure budgeting is realistic but challenging while consistent with macro / microeconomic business conditions.
- Prepare best-in-class forecasts and leveraging other sources of data to produce insight and telling management information.
- Play a critical role in helping to define the five-year strategic business plan.
- Ensure the business meets production tax rebate commitments.
- Support cost transformation programs within the business and provide insight into possible opportunities.
- Lead the project accounting of all film projects, ensuring accurate revenue recognition, optimization of margins and enabling the producers to deliver profitable projects.
- Participate in operational improvement programs in partnership with key operation managers.
- Validate BU’s financial statements including month end adjustments.
- Actively participate in the global Controller community, supporting and sharing best practice (or adopting new practices) across FTV
- Ensure we have sufficient hedges to cover our current projects and change orders (CO) and monitor and minimize any overdues.
- Ensure we maintain proper data and calculation in relation to tax credits and act as a liaison with the Technicolor Canada Tax Director
- Responsible for A/R Cash Forecasting and ensuring we maintain a healthy Free Cashflow (FCF)
- Flag risks associated with cash collection as they arise and try to find solutions to mitigate them.
- Support in ad hoc requests / projects as directed by FTV management
Commercial & Operational leadership:
- Add value from a commercial and strategic perspective by proactively identifying and making recommendations on business risks and opportunities.
- Build business cases and models (in conjunction with wider finance community) to support investment decisions (both from OPEX and cashflow impact)
- Actively participate in the bid process for new business or contract renewals, including responsibility for financial modeling.
- Support effective software and technology spend within CAPEX, OPEX and leases, working closely with the Technology Controller to ensure investments benefits are realized
- Use monthly financial output to identify risks and opportunities in how the facility is being run. Use this insight to help local senior management / technology teams address risks and opportunities to drive growth
- Working with FP&A team, develop reports which provide meaningful insight into activities of facility and allow us to predict results / identify & quantify risks before they happen.
- Provide financial guidance to Head of Studios and participate as a proactive member of the local Senior Management team
- Maintain a robust financial control environment, paying particular attention to hedging, free cash flow, cash management and ensuring IFRS compliance.
- Proactively manages audits and takes action on follow-up items;
o Internal Audit: Ensures that internal controls are in accordance with the company's policies and procedures and ensures their effectiveness. Actively address any issues raised during audits;
o External Audit: Responsible for the quarterly and annual audit and follow up with the auditors and ensuring no control / reporting issues
Ensure continuous controlling process enhancements are introduced
- Liaise with finance shared-services (accounting, credit management, taxes, and treasury) in order to make sure that deadlines are met and that key financial controls are in place.
What we are looking for:
We are looking for a person who has 10+ years accounting/financial analysis / controlling experience.
- CPA/CA/CMA with a strong technical aptitude and a hands-on attitude
- Strong financial control/analysis background
- Ideally, experience with:
o Leading and developing teams
o Business partnering with non financial leaders
- Ability to deal effectively with multiple priorities simultaneously and be able to set priorities to meet deadlines
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of management and clients
- Experience of working with teams across multiple time zones
An energetic and curious person who can get into and drive the details and can also be able to step back and present key takeaways at the executive level.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.