Head of Simulation
- Montreal, QC, Canada
Mill Film is a newly launched visual effects studio with locations in Adelaide- Australia, Bangalore- India and Montreal- Canada, working on VFX for feature films and episodic content. With talent diversity and equality at the heart of Mill Film’s culture, we want to inspire the next generation of visual effects artists, to create a dynamic pool of talent and work with the latest technologies on ground-breaking productions.
Mill Film builds inclusion and diversity into the foundation of the studio. We believe that inclusion and diversity are the solution to delivering excellence in creative VFX for our clients. We foster a culture of respectful candor, where artists, production and technologists come together to build a talent community devoted to realizing industry leading VFX solutions for feature and episodic content for major Studios.
Reporting to the Head of Creative Operations, working in tandem with the Department Manager as the Head of Simulation Department you are responsible for day-to-day operations and long-term strategic management of the FX and TechAnim / Creature FX disciplines.
This is an exciting opportunity and challenge which will require you to formulate and articulate a vision and goals for your team while aligning with the greater Mill Film vision and goals. You are a coach and mentor; you set a positive tone and are a role-model. You have flair with matching shot teams and projects and concurrently drive your team to meet production deadlines, budgets and high quality. You will flourish by navigating multiple stakeholders across multiple-sites. You are deliberate about diversity and mindfully inclusive.
Mill Film has a legacy which includes an Academy Award for Visual Effects, we set the creative bar high and work hard to deliver creative excellence alongside building inclusion and diversity into the fabric of our studio.
Managing the team
- Manage the recruitment, training and integration of new artists into the existing team in accordance with the global needs of the business
- Assign appropriate teams to the various projects, balancing the financial, technical and creative considerations of the task
- Nurture creative vision and technical ability, while ensuring balanced personal and professional development
- Assess performance of the team through appraisals (formal as well as informal), and manage salaries and promotions within the wider considerations of the company
Strategy and technical development
- Have a compelling strategy and vision for the future of the department
- Keep up to date with industry developments and tools
- Ensure the department remains relevant in an ever-changing global industry
- Propose and oversee the development of new tools, workflows or techniques as required for successful and efficient delivery of shows
Show planning and delivery
- Work with the lead artists, supervisors and show production to bid or plan shots, and ensure the project methodologies, quality and schedule expectations are consistent and achievable
- Create good communication channels with other departments, show production and senior management to ensure complex information is disseminated appropriately
- Ensure that work is delivered to Mill Film's global standards, on time and on budget
- Complete shot work when needed, and lead by example
- Assist other artists, departments and supervisors solve issues as they arise during production, delegating work where necessary
· 6-7 years of proven FX leadership and management experience in a leading VFX company or associated industry
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Strong attention to detail. details with a good sense of timing and excellent understanding of the techniques and technologies relating to physical simulation in CG.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Exercise patience, problem-solving and mediation skills
- Ability to cope with stressful situations and conflict with composure
- Ability to work in an inclusive and diverse organization
- Strong creative ability and flair
- Strong sense of aesthetic
- Excellent team building skills
- Strong business acumen
- Understanding of financial impacts of business decisions
- Inclusive and culturally aware and competent