Virtual Production Pipeline TD
- Los Angeles, CA, USA
MPC is the sum of the parts: creative partners with a range of creative solutions, harnessing our talent and technology to craft spectacular visual experiences in any space, on any screen. It all comes together in our enthusiastic and talented people, working daily to be a part of creating the best and most inspirational work in the industry.
The Pipeline Technical Director is responsible primarily to develop and maintain the Virtual Production pipeline. They will improve tools and build scripts that enhance workflows through the Virtual Production pipeline and shot database, and serve as a first line of support for Virtual Production shoots.
The collective goal is to generate exciting visuals using powerful and efficient tools and workflows.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Troubleshoot creative and technical issues.
- Support and work with multiple production departments including Virtual Production, Previz, Layout, Animation, Rigging, and FX.
- Maintain a high degree of competence, attention to detail, and quality control feedback within the existing pipeline.
- Identify technology needs and coordinate with the development team to implement them effectively.
As the Virtual Production Pipeline TD, you will be a key member of our global Virtual Production team. Your days will be comprised of:
- Developing, testing, and maintaining Virtual Production pipeline proprietary software tools and components. This pipeline supports asset publishing and on-set capture to editorial deliveries.
- Investigating bugs/issues with existing tools, while participating in designing and implementing fixes and features as needed.
- Reporting to the Head of Virtual Production, but working closely with the Head of Technology, VFX Supervisors, and other leads/supervisors to help engineer solutions (tools and workflow) for pipeline enhancements and fixes.
- Working directly with artists to investigate and address urgent issues related to custom pipeline tools.
- Working directly with supervisors and production staff in a fast-paced environment, including on the floor during production shoots.
- Mentoring and providing guidance to junior members of the team, through hands-on training and documentation.
3+ years of experience in the following areas:
- Feature animation, commercials or TV pipeline technology.
- Motion capture or on-set workflows.
- Game engine workflows.
- Production pipeline technology.
- Technical Artist Degree (or equivalent).
- Proficiency in Python.
- Proficiency in OS command lines, such as PowerShell and bash.
- Proficiency using one or more industry-specific vendor software applications: Maya, Motion Builder, Houdini, Nuke, Photoshop, etc.
- Proficiency with one or more vendor scripting APIs: Maya MEL, Houdini Python (“hython”), or Unity C# etc.
- Proficiency in using version control systems (Git, Perforce, SVN).
- Proficiency in developing graphical user interfaces (preferable using PyQt).
- Familiarity with game engine workflows (Unity, Unreal, CryEngine).
- A strong understanding of production processes and artist workflows within film and television visual effects pipelines.
- A strong understanding of on-set capture workflows within film and television production.
Technicolor is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, medical condition (including genetic characteristics), mental and/or physical disability or handicap, marital status, sex, age, veteran status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity, political party preference, political belief, socioeconomic status, familial status, registered domestic partner status, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions and any other characteristic or activity protected by federal, state or local law.