Digital Matte Painting/Environments Artist - Expression of Interest
- Adelaide SA, Australia
Mill Film is a newly launched visual effects studio with locations in Adelaide - Australia, Bangalore - India and Montreal - Canada, working on VFX for feature films and episodic content. With talent diversity and equality at the heart of Mill Film’s culture, we want to inspire the next generation of visual effects artists, to create a dynamic pool of talent and work with the latest technologies on ground-breaking productions.
Digital Matte Painters (DMPs) or Environment TDs are responsible for painting and/or building photo-real digital environments, elements and textures for matching into live action plates, to stand on their own as DMP plates or to be used in a 3D environment and passed through the pipeline. It’s a cross-discipline role that requires abilities in one or more CG techniques, including modeling, texturing, shading, lighting, look development and compositing.
The following would be a great advantage in our Studio;
- Previous experience in Feature Film on a VFX environment with working knowledge of Linux.
- Proven experience developing photo-real environments. Building cities, landscapes, foliage, debris, rocks. Procedural and painted texturing, creation of wear, erosion masks. Manual or procedural layout and scattering.
- Ideally a thorough working knowledge of Photoshop, Maya, Katana, Renderman and Nuke and experience with of a range of other VFX industry software like: Mari, Substance Designer/Painter, Houdini, Zbrush, SpeedTree, Vue, Terragen, Mudbox.
- Experience working with shoot data including photographic and reference data like textures, HDRIs, photogrammetry and Lidar scans.
- Experience in modelling, texturing, layout, LookDev, lighting and digital matte painting for live-action feature film projects.
- Strong knowledge of camera focal lengths, a good sense of composition and an understanding of different output requirements.
- A strong knowledge of how to combine 2D and 3D elements, multi-camera projection setups and general knowledge of 2.5D VFX processes and production pipelines.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of the natural world (geology, geography and meteorology) and architecture (design and engineering).
Mill Film builds inclusion and diversity into the foundation of the studio. We believe that inclusion and diversity are the solution to delivering excellence in creative VFX for our clients. We foster a culture of respectful candour, where artists, production and technologists come together to build a talent community devoted to realising industry leading VFX solutions for feature and episodic content for major Studios.
Whilst we may not have a suitable vacancy within our DMP/Environments team at the time you apply we will ensure that we keep in touch for future opportunities. If we do have a position we think would interest you then we will be in touch really soon!