- New York, NY
The Cost Accountant will be responsible for cost accounting – ensuring the proper valuation of accounting standard costs for purchased finished goods. Additionally, this role will encompass a multitude of accounting activities including: margin analysis, inventory cost update, reserve calculation, inventory analysis and working with functional groups to gather necessary information to complete reporting requirements. This position will require a thorough understanding of standard cost accounting concepts, integrated accounting systems, and ability to analyze data.
- Maintain cost accounting function, reconcile and analyze cost variance between actual and standard costs.
- Cost sheet management by ensuring accuracy of cost sheet values
- Work with Accounts Payable to ensure proper General Ledger coding to purchases and cost variances
- Partner with Production/Retail teams on inventory costing processes and inputs
- Sets priorities, resolve problems, maintain the accuracy of standard costs, and ensure that all inventory reporting requirements are satisfied.
- Monitor all transactions involving inventory to ensure the perpetual records are updated and maintained properly, inventory is valued correctly and good judgment is used in the evaluation of reserves.
- Analyzes inventory and process discrepancies and, when able, makes corrections
- Perform monthly financial closing activities:
- Preparation and recording of journal entries
- Monthly inventory reconciliations
- GL account analysis
- Ensure accuracy of Cost of Sales, preparing various Gross Margin schedules
- Assist with audits by providing supporting records and documentation
- Perform ad hoc requests as needed
Strategically be involved in ERP implementation of Microsoft Dyanamics AX
- BS in Accounting
- 2 years or more of related experience in accounting/finance, concentrating on standard costing and inventory
- Familiarity with cost sheet variances, purchase accruals, journal entries, and general ledger analysis
- Solid verbal & written communication skills
- High proficiency in Excel
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet deadlines required
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Self-directed with a high orientation to teamwork
- Big 4 experience
- In-depth understanding of GAAP and IFRS
- Microsoft Dynamics AX knowledge
- Experience using ERP software systems