Systems & Operations Engineer
- Palo Alto, CA
ShareThis offers the most innovative sharing platform for today's social audiences. Our suite of solutions for advertisers and publishers inspire people to do more of what we believe is the foundation of digital life - to share.
We make it easy to share ideas and get to the good stuff online. Reaching over 400 million users across 1-million+ sites across the web, ShareThis is changing the economics of online publishing by creating a market of influence across the Web. ShareThis allows users to share content from anywhere to anyone while simultaneously enabling publishers and advertisers to tap the value of sharing. ShareThis ranks in the top-5 of ComScore rankings for U.S. audience reach.
We have experienced significant growth both in adoption by site publishers and share actions by users. The business end of ShareThis involves developing informational insights from data that can be used in online advertising models. The company has grown revenue 1000+% since last year, doubled revenue each quarter to date, and is on track to record $10+million in fiscal 2011. Our advertising customers include Toyota, Best Buy, Victoria’s Secret, Macy’s, and Hertz to name a few.
Based in Palo Alto, CA, the ShareThis team comes from companies such as Yahoo!, AOL, LinkedIn, Google and Amazon. The company is privately held with funding from Draper Fisher Jurvetson, Blue Chip Venture Company, DFJ Mercury, Reservoir Partners, Illinois Ventures, Queen City Angels and RPM Ventures.
ShareThis is currently searching for a seasoned systems engineer to join our technology operations team. Since inception, ShareThis exclusively operates in the Amazon EC2 cloud. With explosive growth, the company is one of the largest deployments of EC2 and uses the latest open-source technologies to manage vast amounts of data while servicing web traffic loads of 10+ billion hits monthly with high availability and performance.
We seek a hardcore technical systems engineer who is capable of operating at and above this scale to support our continued business growth. As a company that thrives on innovation, is focused on customer value, and delivery using agile methods, the role demands an individual who is passionate about Big Data/NOSQL, Hadoop, systems engineering, fault-tolerant computing, and operating discipline based on data and metrics.
- Manage our compute and storage infrastructure on AWS. Ensure high availability with adequate monitoring and instrumentation.
- Maintain and extend operational processes to insure high availability and service of our entire technology stack – front-end web traffic and back-end big-data infrastructure (EC2, S3, Cassandra, Hadoop, Hive, HDFS, MongoDB).
- Implement best practices to manage utilization, optimization, and monitoring of our cloud services.
- Provide front-line data processing services based on incoming web traffic data. This function is the most critical element of the company’s assets since it forms the basis for all downstream insights from our data.
- Participate in oncall rotation to handle production issues.
The ideal candidate is talented across a variety of disciplines including: System Administration, Network Operations, Software Development, Build and Release Engineering, Performance Engineering and Site Operations. Must be willing to absorb new technologies quickly and become expert in it.
- BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent
- Minimum 5+ years of industry experience
- Prior experience supporting 24x7, highly-available, large scale distributed systems
- Basic understanding of AWS and related virtualization technologies
- Strong understanding of best practices around web operations, software development, release engineering, quality assurance.
- Strong written & oral communication skills are essential. Proven ability to write bugs, test cases, and problem reports.
- Unix-based OSes: Linux, Solaris
- Web servers: Apache, Nginx
- Servlet containers: Tomcat
- Monitoring: Nagios, rrd,
- RDBMSes: MySQL
- NoSQL: MongoDB, Cassandra
- Enjoys scripting and has excellent shell and scripting skills in one or more of: bash, Python, Ruby, Perl. Experience programming in C++ or Java a plus.
For more details you can call me @ 408 676 5336 or email firstname.lastname@example.org