- Baltimore, MD
The Maryland Department of Business and Economic Development stimulates private investment and creates jobs by attracting new businesses, encouraging the expansion and retention of existing companies, and providing workforce training and financial assistance to Maryland companies. The Department promotes the State's many economic advantages and markets local products and services at home and abroad to spur economic development and international investment, trade and tourism. Because they are major economic generators, the Department also supports the Arts, film production, sports and other special events. For more information, visit www.choosemaryland.org.
$45,938 - $73,541
World Trade Center Building - 401 E. Pratt Street Baltimore, MD 21202
The Web Designer is the lead visual designer on all digital projects including websites, mobile web/applications, online display advertising and email marketing. The Web Designer is responsible for the concept development as well as the execution. This requires a unique mix of creative and technical programming skills to be able to take art and develop it into a functioning digital asset. The Web Designer works closely with various members of the digital team to coordinate an appropriate end-user experience that aligns with project goals, web standards, and accessibility compliance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following and such other duties as may be assigned.
- Assists the Director of Digital Marketing during the planning process of all digital projects. Responsible for:
- Assisting with production of wireframes, site maps, and prototypes when necessary to convey execution plan for the user interface.
- Providing creative solutions for information architecture
- Developing quick sketches or mockups that can illustrate ideas without design or code.
- Assisting with development and implementation of the tracking plan to allow for closed-loop reporting throughout the marketing funnel.
- Responsible for visual design of all digital projects.
- Developing an overall look and feel that follows brand guidelines and project goals.
- Working with writers to incorporate that design into a comprehensive creative concept.
- Ensuring that the visual design will work within the defined user interface.
- Being able to design in a responsive format – Showing multiple layouts if needed.
- Responsible for frontend development on all digital projects.
- Morphing flat artwork into a working digital format.
- Being proactive about proposing modern web design functionality.
- Ensuring that code is clean, compatible with major browsers, and compliant with W3C and ADA.
- Building with search engines in mind – with a strong SEO foundation.
- Assists the Digital Content Manager and writers during the content development process. Responsible for:
- Providing recommendations as it relates to the visual presentation of the content.
- Assisting in editing photography or producing illustrations.
- Preparing video assets for the web.
- Guiding the team to use web usability best practices.
- Assists the Back-end Programmers and IT during the development process. Responsible for:
- Clearly conveying how the front-end development will work.
- Supporting development team throughout implementation with anything that needs a front-facing interface design.
- Assists the Digital Marketing Manager during the monitor and analyze phase of the project. Responsible for:
- Reviewing performance reports, providing recommendations as they relate to the user experience.
- Brainstorming ideas to enhance the project.
- Diagnose and correct problems that arise.
- Assists with Print, Photographic and Video Production as needed.
The Web Designer is responsible for providing direct and indirect project supervision to a diverse group of technical, marketing and digital program staff and for coordinating divergent skills and strengths to achieve a common goal across disciplines.
TYPICAL DECISIONS MADE
- Interprets agency web design needs and proactively pursues high impact, low cost solutions when possible.
- Determines appropriate design and content organization approach to reach target audience.
- Executes projects with consideration of quality, budget, client requirements, deadlines, internal processes and delivery destination.
- Conveys modern web design best practices to the team, adding value throughout the lifecycle of the digital project – from inception to execution.
- Critiques the work of other designers, developers, content managers, and social media managers.
- Assistant Secretary of Marketing and Communications
- Director of Digital Marketing
- Digital Team (content writers, social community managers, graphic designers, GIS specialists)
- Art Director and Creative Services Team
- Director of Marketing
- Office of Procurement
- Informational Technology Program Manager and team members.
- DBED staff requesting graphic assistance
- All relevant external vendors (printers, ad agency, specialty vendors, shipping and courier services, website developers, etc.)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have proven success demonstrating each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must have a strong understanding of typographic systems, color theory, semiotics, and visual communication theory.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university is required, with at least four (4) years of experience in administrative staff or professional work.
1. Additional experience in administrative staff or professional work may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
2. Additional graduate level education at an accredited college or university may be substituted at the rate of 30 semester credit hours on a year to year basis for the required general
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization. Ability to convey modern web design best practices to the team.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units or measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ration, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs. Ability to analyze performance data and apply findings to future work.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Ability to provide value throughout the lifecycle of the digital project – from inception to execution. Ability to critique the work of other designers, developers, content managers, and social media managers.
- High proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office products, including Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Experience with design programs including Adobe Creative Suite and CC, Final Cut Pro-X
- Experience working with frameworks such as Twitter Bootstrap, Wordpress, Roots, and Foundation.
- Familiarity with backend languages including ASP.NET, PHP, MySQL, AJAX, XML.
- Familiarity with SharePoint 2007 and 2013.
- Knowledge of the structure, conventions, functions, and capabilities of the internet.
- Knowledge of cross-browser compatibility and quality assurance issues.
- Understanding of how content and markup will render on mobile devices.
- Knowledge of the DOM (Document Object Model ) and how to manipulate it through jQuery.
- Skill in the access and retrieval of data across multiple platforms using Relational Database technology and various querying and reporting tools.
You are encouraged to apply online at http://www.jobaps.com/MD/sup/bulpreview.asp?R1=14&R2=002587&R3=020