Metal Fabricator, Welder, Assembler
- Strathroy, Canada
Matrix is a full service staffing firm providing professional recruitment solutions for a wide variety of careers.
Terms of Employment: 40 Hrs/Week (Temp to Perm)
Location: Strathroy, Ontario
Experience: 2 to 5 years
Our client, well respected in their field, is seeking an enthusiastic individual to join their team. You will enjoy an innovative environment where challenging and interesting work is part of daily life. You will be required to meet the following criteria:
Job Responsibilities: Working in a safety conscious manner, you may be required to perform these major functions:
• Study job orders, travelers and drawings to determine machining operations to be performed. Read specifications.
• Lay out, set up and operate one or more light or heavy metalworking machines such as shears, saws, plate rolls, drills, brakes, punch presses, computer numerically controlled (CNC) equipment, and other hand tools to cut, bend, roll, ream, punch and drill, weld or otherwise shape and form metal stock into parts or products
• Set up and operate machine tools to perform machining operations, such as turning, milling, drilling, boring, grinding or other machining operations
• Operate machines or equipment which weld, solder, bolt, screw or rivet metal parts together
• Check products for correct shapes, dimensions and other specifications
• Verify dimensions of parts machined using micrometers, calipers and other precision measuring instruments
• Troubleshoot and perform corrective action or minor repairs
• May select and transport material to work area manually or using crane or hoist
• Document work completed
• May build staging or erect scaffolding as required for heavy metalworking jobs
• Clean or lubricate equipment and replace parts as required.
• Assemble, fit and install fabricated parts to form subassemblies or finished products using hand and power tools
• Position, align and adjust parts for proper fit and assembly and connect cables, tubes and wires as required
• Fasten parts together using bolting and riveting equipment or other fastening and joining techniques
• Operate small cranes to transport or position larger parts as required
• Read and interpret welding process specifications
• Practice, test and pass Canadian Welding Bureau Standards for procedures as specified by the weld supervisor.
• Operate manual or semi-automatic welding equipment to fuse metal segments using processes gas metal arc welding (GMAW), Operate manual or semi-automatic flame-cutting equipment
• Operate brazing and soldering equipment
• Operate metal shaping machines such as brakes, shears and other metal straightening and bending machines
• Operate metal cleaning equipment such as wheelabrators, deburrers and shotblasters to remove excess welds, rust, scale and other material from surfaces of metal parts, castings and other metal products
• May cut, grind or chip excess metal from metal products using hand tools
• Repair worn parts of metal products by welding on extra layers.
• Grind and buff seams, joints and rough surfaces
• Check subassemblies and inspect finished products for proper quality
• Inspect products for conformance to quality standards
• Check mechanical assemblies and subassemblies for alignment and proper functioning
• Test and check electrical assemblies and wiring for proper connections
• Record information on products inspected and work orders. Mark defective parts or products for repair and bring to the attention of the supervisor
• Perform minor adjustments and repairs.
• Transport raw materials, finished products and equipment throughout plant manually or using powered equipment
• Load and unload vehicles using hand truck or dolly
• Check, count and weigh materials and products
• Sort, pack, crate and package materials and products
• Assist machine operators, assemblers and other workers
• Sort metal sheets and parts, scrap metal and other materials
• Clean work areas and equipment
Education & Training
• Gr. 12 secondary school education is required
• Welder training and testing to CWB standards (may be on the job)
• Maintain certification for forklift , WHMIS, Respirator Fit testing, and Lockout training
Skills & Experience
• College or other courses in machining may be required
• Several months of on-the-job training are provided
• Familiarity with computers, basic Microsoft office applications
All information will be kept confidential according to privacy guidelines.