Executive Sous Chef
- Muscat, Oman
- Company Location: Anantara Al Jabal Al Akhdar Resort
A luxury hospitality brand for modern travellers, Anantara connects guests to genuine places, people and stories through personal experiences and providing heartfelt hospitality in the world’s most exciting destinations. From pristine islands and tropical beaches to cosmopolitan cities, tranquil deserts and lush jungles, Anantara welcomes guests for journeys rich in discovery.
As an Executive Sous Chef you will be second in command and report directly to the Executive Chef. As such you must be intimately familiar with all the activities involved in kitchen operations and be prepared to step in and cover all eventualities if called upon. You will need to be able to prepare and cook a wide range of international dishes, including French, Italian, and fusion cooking. The Executive Sous Chef is also responsible for overseeing the kitchen team members, which will involve preparing, scheduling and delivering training, managing team member performance, ensuring that the kitchen safety standards are up to date and that team members are complying with health, safety and sanitation rules. Additionally you will help with menu planning, inventory control, and supply management.
• College degree in Hotel Management or related culinary degree
• At least 3 years of industry and culinary management experience
• Previous experience training team members in large quantity food preparation.
• Excellent knowledge of quality food operations.
• Passion for leadership and teamwork
• Eye for detail to achieve operational excellence
• Excellent guest service skills
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Please note that this is not an exhaustive list of everything that needs to be done. Anantara employees always find new ways to look after the business, their guests, and their colleagues. Within this, the key responsibilities for this position are:
Planning and Organising:
- To work with the Executive Chef in completing the Food & Beverage department input into the overall hotel strategic plans.
Operations and Product Quality
- Analyse local-market needs and trends, and support the definition of the hotel’s overall Food & Beverage offering
- Manage menu preparation and pricing in line with the stated F&B objectives of the hotel and the brand.
- Develop new menus and food items to meet the taste and dining requirements of the guests. Maintain sensitivity to local cultural traditions and adhere to religious beliefs in preparation and services of all food on premises.
- Oversee the preparation and presentation of food products to ensure maximum quality at all times.
- Implement procedures to minimise wastage and over-production.
- Ensure standards of presentation and preparation of food items meet hotel & brand standards
- Lead Task Force Missions on behalf of the hotel, to support the opening of new Anantara/MINT properties, and other special events catered by Minor International
Departmental Leadership – with the Executive Chef
- Ensure that that Kitchen professionals are fully aware of hotel F&B strategy, and that their products meet these requirements
- Direct and coordinate the daily activities of all the hotel’s kitchens.
- Coach and guide new members of the team, putting in place proper orientation training and ongoing training and development for team members.
- Manage relationships and contracts with suppliers.
- Support and facilitate staff participation in local, national and international competitions.
Health, Hygiene & Safety
- Maintain the highest standards of Food Hygiene, and adherence with all Health and Safety standards.
- Report and take appropriate action to correct any health or safety hazard.
- Liaise with Engineering regarding maintenance and repairs of equipment
- Check and ensure the proper storage of raw and processed food items including the condition of food in freezers.
- Instruct staff on all emergency measures in case of accident and have a first aid kit available and stocked in the kitchens, in collaboration with hotel’s clinic
- Ensure all work areas in the kitchen are kept tidy and clean.