- Glenwood Springs, CO
Mountain Family Health Centers (MFHC) are in Glenwood Springs, Basalt, Rifle and Black Hawk Colorado. Each community health center is as unique as the town in which it is located, but all share the same mission:
“To provide high quality, integrated primary, behavioral, and dental health care in the communities we serve, with special consideration for the medically underserved, regardless of ability to pay.”
Under medical/nursing supervision, assist provider and nursing staff in the delivery of health care services; perform related duties as required.
- Acts as a patient/family advocate.
- Communicates patient’s health status accurately in verbal and written reports to appropriate health care providers (i.e. nurse supervisor, providers).
- Communicates effectively, courteously and collaboratively with patient/family, providers, supervisors and co-workers.
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
Clinical Care Duties:
- Assist providers with patient care such as examinations, procedures and treatments in a professional mPrepare patients for examinations, procedures and treatments. Obtain vital signs, measure height and weight; perform vision and auditory screening as needed; record all information in EHR.
- Obtain medical history, history of present illness and/or chief complaint and record in EHR.
- Obtain information related to chronic disease(s) and document in appropriate disease management templates.
- Participate in management of chronic disease registries and recall of patients for recommended care.
- Conduct tests and procedures as directed, including ECG’s, spirometry, and retinal photographs.
- Adhere to established patient screening procedures.
- Administer and properly record immunizations following the provider’s orders, using the appropriate procedures.
- Sterilize instruments and suture sets.
- Inventory and order supplies, stock exam rooms.
- Assist with scheduling for specialty care referrals or ancillary testing.
- Draw blood, collect specimens and perform on-site laboratory procedures.
- Process specimens to be sent to outside laboratory.
- Perform other laboratory duties as assigned by the Nurse Supervisor.
- Recognize and respond to emergencies.
- Obtain/maintain CPR certification.
- Maintain a positive, helpful attitude to patients/family, providers and co-workers.
- Seek to establish a working relationship with a positive attitude that enhances open communication.
- Demonstrate an awareness of and commitment to the common goal of providing excellent patient care.
- Participate in and support team meetings and activities.
- Participates in internal education opportunities.
- Sick time does not exceed MFHC policy parameters.
- Follows through on assignments to completion.
- Utilizes appropriate chain of command.
- Does not allow social interaction to interfere with health center workload.
- Consistently demonstrates strict adherence to policies and procedures concerning patient/ confidentiality and release of information.
- Consistently reports to work on date and time scheduled without incurring tardiness.
- Takes and returns from scheduled breaks and meal breaks in a timely manner.
- Maintains a professional appearance and good hygiene.
- Takes responsibility for own actions.
- Participates in Quality Improvement projects when applicable.
- Shares expertise with all health center staff at every level in a positive manner.
- Ensure that the appropriate internal/external providers, facilities and ancillary services are utilized in the referral process.
- Document all referrals in EMR.
- Print and mail/fax referrals/authorizations to providers and facilities at the time the provider is contacted.
- Answer phones and maintain documentation, and files as needed.
- Process external referrals according to grants, including Komen, WWC, CCSP.
- Knowledgeable about available grant programs and services covered.
- Adheres to health center safety, infection control and hazardous waste procedures.
- Maintains patient confidentiality at all times in accordance with HIPAA regulations.
General Employee Responsibilities:
- Participate in Quality Improvement processes and activities in the organization.
- Embrace the mission, vision and values of the Board of Directors of Mountain Family Health Centers
- Maintain patient confidentiality at all times in accordance with HIPAA regulations.
- Competent and appropriate use of electronic media for communication within the health center: electronic health record, electronic practice management software, e-mail and IM.
- Participates in Quality Improvement processes.
- Minimum high school diploma or equivalent.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to understand and present verbal instructions and to exchange verbal information.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective, courteous working relationships with patients/families, coworkers and others.
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to prioritize and perform multiple tasks.
- Ability to work in Windows based computer environment.
- Certification as a Medical Assistant preferred.
- Minimum one year of satisfactory work performance in a family practice setting preferred.
- Current Basic Life Support Certification.
- Ability to work in professional manner.
Working Environment/Physical Activities:
- Requires long periods of standing.
- Requires ability to lift, carry, push and pull up to 35 pounds.
- Requires ability to use routine office equipment such as computer and telephone.
- Requires ability to stoop, kneel, bend, crouch and reach.
- Requires sufficient near-vision to be able to read documents and computer screen.
- Requires ability to comprehend both oral and written communications.
- O.S.H.A. Category 1: All procedures or other job-related tasks involve an inherent potential for mucous membrane or skin contact with blood, body fluids or tissues or a potential for spills or splashes of these fluids.
- HIPAA Classification: Unrestricted Access: A workforce member with unrestricted access will have full access to patient’s protected health information, including the patient’s entire medical record, for patient care purposes.