- Washington, DC
NASTAD is a non-profit national association that represents public health officials who administer HIV and hepatitis health care, prevention, education, and supportive service programs funded by state and federal governments in all 50 U.S. states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and the U.S. Pacific Islands. NASTAD also supports partner governments in Africa, the Central America region, and the Caribbean region.
NASTAD's vision is a world free of HIV and viral hepatitis
The Director, Communications is responsible for developing and executing communications strategies that advance NASTAD’s mission, vision, and organizational goals and amplify NASTAD programs and initiatives. The Director partners with program and policy staff and external partners to craft and execute strategy, proactively pitch stories, develop timely, accurate, and relevant communications, and oversee the daily operations of the communications team and its budget. The candidate must have a demonstrated ability to lead, respond quickly and strategically, think creatively, deliver on ideas, and work well with others at all levels of the organization.
The Director serves as a key advisor to the Executive Director and Deputy Executive Director on communications matters of importance and will be motivated to work as part of a team as well as be able to develop new projects independently, working with minimal direction. While the position reports to the Deputy Executive Director, much of the work of the position will be working directly with other policy, program, and operations staff. Demonstrated ability to execute projects in a timely manner is required.
- Communications strategy: Create and execute a holistic organizational communications strategy that includes earned media, membership communication, and digital platforms
- Message development: Develop messages and taking points and ensure materials across program areas are up-to-date and reflect organizational positions and are framed persuasively
- Media relations: A strong ability to develop and implement appropriate media relations strategies and tactics and position NASTAD to react to breaking news stories. Strong and demonstrated relationship-building skills and established relationships with national media, an understanding of and contacts within public health media, and the ability to build and maintain relationships with key broadcast producers and reporters as well as editorial writers and columnists
- Thought leadership: Must demonstrate the ability to communicate about NASTAD and its leadership on a range of key issues and priorities and to shape the public conversation about these issues through not only effective media relations, but the placement of spokespersons, columns, and editorials on a variety of intersecting issues
- Spokesperson: A strong and demonstrated ability to act as an on-the-record and background source is necessary
- Outstanding writing and editing skills: Must have excellent writing and editing skills, including the ability to write talking points, opinion pieces, press releases, and other materials, and provide strategic feedback and be able to work in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines
- Digital platforms: Oversee and manage NASTAD’s website, social media, and email platforms
- Team and resource management: As the primary supervisor for junior and mid-level communications staff, the Director must be able to mentor and guide other staff while being able to help staff deliver their full potential. The Director will also plan and administer the communications budget and procure and manage a roster of external creative professionals and vendors
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent, and 10-15 years of relevant experience
- Experience leading and coaching cross-functional teams and managing teams of creative professionals (e.g., graphic designers, web developers, and videographers)
- Experience developing and managing budgets
- Experience working in the area of communications and public health
- Ability to adapt to shifting and competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Public speaking experience and skills and ability to represent NASTAD in a variety of settings, including the media
- Exemplary project management, research, writing, editing, and communications skills
- Knowledge of document design and layout and experience with Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite to create web-ready content
- Experience with content management systems (e.g. Drupal), email marketing tools (e.g. MailChimp), social media management tools (e.g. Sprout Social), and basic knowledge of HTML and CSS
- Solid understanding of digital and social media
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Strategic thinking: The ability to analyze the organization's competitive position by considering market and industry trends, existing and potential stakeholders (internal and external), and strengths and weaknesses as compared to other organizations
- Initiative: Identifying what needs to be done and doing it before being asked or before the situation requires it
- Results orientation: The ability to focus on the desired result of one's own or one's unit's work, setting challenging goals, focusing effort on the goals, and meeting or exceeding them
- Developing others: The ability to delegate responsibility and to work with others and coach them to develop their capabilities
Environment and Scheduling
- Interest in working with a national HIV and hepatitis public health organization
- Interest in working within a diverse environment
- Interest in working with and/or an understanding of communities impacted by HIV and hepatitis such as people of color, men who have sex with men (MSM), and transgender communities
- Willing to travel as needed
-Salary commensurate with experience
-Qualified candidates are to submit a resume and cover letter including salary requirements. Submissions that do not include the required information are considered incomplete and will not be considered.
-Due to the extremely high volume of resumes submitted, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls, emails, or social media outreach in reference to this position will be accepted.