Manager, Policy & Legislative Affairs
- Washington, DC
NASTAD is a non-profit national association that represents public health officials who administer HIV and hepatitis health care, prevention, education, and supportive service programs funded by state and federal governments in all 50 U.S. states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and the U.S. Pacific Islands. NASTAD also supports partner governments in Africa, the Central America region, and the Caribbean region.
NASTAD's vision is a world free of HIV and viral hepatitis
The Manager, Policy & Legislative Affairs plays a vital role in managing the development and implementation of hepatitis-related federal appropriations strategies, including for the NASTAD convened Hepatitis Appropriations Partnership, and legislation related to hepatitis prevention, care and treatment issues. This position manages the day-to-day activities necessary to implement hepatitis-related federal legislative and regulatory goals. The Manager also interfaces with governmental agencies, national organizations, coalitions and other non-governmental organizations to promote NASTAD’s legislative and policy agenda. In addition, this position interfaces with NASTAD members to develop their understanding of the federal policy process and respond to their inquiries. Demonstrated ability to execute projects in a timely manner is also required.
- Assist in the development of NASTAD hepatitis policy positions and the implementation of strategies to achieve NASTAD’s organizational goals
- In collaboration with other PLA staff, track, monitor, research, and prepare advocacy documents on relevant hepatitis policy issues and legislation
- Represent NASTAD within coalitions, through work with national partner organizations, and in meetings with federal partners to achieve NASTAD’s hepatitis policy priorities
- Provide technical assistance to health department staff on hepatitis related policy priorities
- Interface with Senior Director, Viral Hepatitis on NASTAD’s hepatitis programmatic portfolio, as needed
- Attend and represent NASTAD at conferences and participate in relevant external meetings
- Research and write NASTAD newsletter articles, policy and appropriations materials, fact sheets, issue briefs and web-based communications
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent and 4-5 years of relevant experience
- Experience working with cross-functional teams
- Experience with the federal budget and appropriations processes required
- Prior experience working in the area of hepatitis a plus.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Technical Expertise: The ability to demonstrate depth of knowledge and skill in a technical area.
- Analytical Thinking: The ability to tackle a problem by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.
- Stakeholder Orientation: The ability to demonstrate concern for satisfying one’s external and/or internal stakeholders.
Environment and Scheduling
- Interest in working with a national HIV and hepatitis public health organization
- Interest in working within a diverse environment
- Willing to travel as needed