Senior Network Engineer
- Sydney NSW, Australia
- Job Field: Senior Network Engineer
NEXTDC designs, builds and operates next generation data centres using cutting edge technology, providing local and international companies with premium data storage facilities that enable them to transition to a cloud computing environment. Going from a start up to a scale up, NEXTDC is an ASX200 listed company with six, soon to be eight, data centres in five capital cities.
At NEXTDC, we know that our success depends on the talents of our people and we foster a culture of continued learning and development. Our culture is built on collaboration and innovation, we are passionate about what we do and we are committed to our mission to be the leading customer-centric data centre services company.
At NEXTDC we are building the heart of Australia’s internet infrastructure. For the last four years NEXTDC has focused on launching innovative network products to our customers including:
AXON – our on-demand ethernet switching platform which allows enterprise customers, technology partners and telecommunications carriers access to cloud providers at the click of button.
Data Centre Interconnect (DCI) – as our footprint grows from one 12MW facility per capital city to 2-3 distributed 25MW+ facilities have implemented a high capacity, highly available data transport service between facilities in the same metropolitan area
As we’ve grown we have maintained a small team of highly skilled network engineers that own the development of new network systems and products end to end. You will be joining this team in a senior capacity.
Key Job Function/Responsibilities
Architecture and implementation of new networks and system
Owning the DCI platform & product as a lead engineer and subject matter expert
Optimisation of existing designs continuous improvement of platforms and operational practices
Working closely with facilities technicians and front-line teams to achieve project deliverables, maintain adequate capacity, and ensure customer success
Working closely with network development and software development engineers to improve on-demand provisioning, monitoring, troubleshooting and telemetry capabilities
- 10 years of experience working in data networks
- 5 experience working in a tier one telecommunications company
- Experience managing significant capital expenditure projects
- Network equipment vendor certifications well regarded but not essential
- Track record of designing and operating carrier grade data transport networks
- Deep understanding of optical transmission technology (DWDM, ROADM, OTN)
- Understanding of routing and switching architecture (Ethernet, STP, BGP, MPLS)
- An ability to automate basic tasks via common programming interfaces (JSON based APIs, OpenConfig, etc)
- Strong network equipment vendor management skills and ability to conduct competitive technical tenders
- Understanding with common optical cabling standards (G.652, G.657 etc) and ability to interface with fibre providers during builds
- Ability to implement of network management systems and protocols (SNMP, Streaming Telemetry)
- Written communication of product capabilities for a non-technical audience (I.e. product management, marketing)
Great chance to join this agile and innovative team where your ideas are valued and respected.