Critical Environment Specialist
- Melbourne VIC, Australia
- Job Field: Critical Environment Specialist
NEXTDC designs, builds and operates next generation data centres using cutting edge technology, providing local and international companies with premium data storage facilities that enable them to transition to a cloud computing environment. Going from a start up to a scale up, NEXTDC is an ASX100 listed company with data centres in five capital cities.
At NEXTDC, we know that our success depends on the talents of our people and we foster a culture of continued learning and development. Our Culture is built on collaboration and innovation, we are passionate about what we do and we are committed to our mission to be the leading customer-centric data centre services company.
This role can be based anywhere in Australia as NEXTDC has data centres in five capital cities.
Supporting the Central Operations team with the delivery of operational improvements through mentoring and skills training for the broader NEXTDC operations team. The role has a focus on continuous service improvement leading to high reliability and efficiency at all Data Centres. The role will deliver high levels of subject matter expertise in critical environment systems ensuring that the Operations team is highly capable and autonomous. The position is also responsible for leading proactive solutions through the complete lifecycle of a Data Centre from design, construction, commissioning, operations, and tuning phases.
· Focus on delivery of best operational practices using the Uptime Institute Operational Sustainability Gold Certification standard as the framework and benchmark
· Work with the facility teams to achieve seamless, efficient handover of critical facility systems from construction or contractors and transition them to operations control
· Work with Engineering to perform seamless, efficient handover during commissioning phases and ensure vendors are delivering effectively
· Participate with research and development alongside Engineering to discover and implement innovative new products and methods of control
· Provide ongoing support for thermal event management and incident rectification
· Oversee the development and implementation of current and future (Next Generation) training materials to ensure that NEXTDC staff and facilities operate efficiently, and in compliance with relevant State and Commonwealth WH&S legislation as applicable
· Develop and publish an Operations knowledgebase of detailed site and system design and operational procedures and best practice on critical facility systems
· Responsible for continuous improvement in Mechanical (Cooling) skills and system operations in conjunction with each relevant Facility Manager
· A trade qualification in Air-conditioning, Refrigeration OR Electrical (dual trade would be preferable)
· Extensive experience in a data centre building services role in a colocation facility or data centre (minimum 2.5 MW of critical IT load in a Tier III or equivalent facility) or other mission critical experience with focus on mechanical, fire, BMS, hydraulic and electrical services
· Good planning, organising and analytical skills
· Detailed knowledge of commissioning and operating data centres especially large scale centralised and decentralised cooling plants and building management systems, as well as UPS, Electrical, Fire, Security, and other systems supporting critical plant operation of large scale data centres (colocation facilities).
· Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
· Practical knowledge of ITIL framework
- Above industry average parental leave
- Flexible work arrangements
- Be celebrated and rewarded for doing an awesome job