Senior Big Data Engineer - Hadoop
- Menlo Park, CA
Next Issue Media, the company behind the Next Issue digital newsstand and app, is a joint venture formed by five leading U.S.-based publishers – Condé Nast, Hearst, Meredith, News Corp., and Time Inc. The company was formed to develop, market and deliver interactive digital editions of the world’s most popular magazines and newspapers optimized for the digital device of your choice.
Next Issue offers "all-you-can-read" unlimited access to our entire catalog of digital magazines, starting at just $9.99 per month.
The Next Issue newsstand and app includes Better Homes and Gardens, Condé Nast Traveler, Esquire, Elle, Fortune, Glamour, Parents, People, Popular Mechanics, Real Simple, Sports Illustrated, TIME, The New Yorker, Vanity Fair and many more. Our magazines are custom-designed for the tablet experience and include enhancements such as videos, bonus photography and interactive features.
Next Issue Media is looking for a Senior Big Data Engineer to help build our new data warehouse from the ground up. The Data Analytics team is looking for someone who can take ownership of several key components and processes in our data transformation and migration workflow. Your creativity and passion for working with big data and big data tools will allow you to make an immediate impact on the architecture being implemented.
- Design and implement the data workflow process and automate the data pipeline
- Integrate new data sources and solutions into the data pipeline
- Build key components in data pipeline to process or transform data
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5-7 years of Java development experience
- 1-2 years experience writing MapReduce jobs with Hadoop, Cloudera, CDH or other relevant technology
- Experience with Pig and/or Hive
- Solid understanding of SQL
- Experience working with NoSQL databases (HBase or Cassandra)
- Competent working in Linux development environment
- Proficient with scripting languages (bash and python)
- Experience working with Amazon Web Services (S3, EMR, Redshift, Data Pipeline) preferred
- Workflow and tool integration a plus
- Competitive Salary
- Full medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- 401K matching
- Offices in Menlo Park (close to Menlo Park Caltrain station) and Financial District
- Fitness center, yoga, ping-pong, pinball, and team bonding events
- A fun, flexible, and friendly startup
If you love magazines and want to be a part of a company that is revolutionizing the digital space, please apply!