Big Data Engineer - Hadoop
- Menlo Park, CA
Next Issue Media, the company behind the Next Issue digital newsstand and app, is a joint venture formed by five leading U.S.-based publishers – Condé Nast, Hearst, Meredith, News Corp., and Time Inc. The company was formed to develop, market and deliver interactive digital editions of the world’s most popular magazines and newspapers optimized for the digital device of your choice.
Next Issue offers "all-you-can-read" unlimited access to our entire catalog of digital magazines, starting at just $9.99 per month.
The Next Issue newsstand and app includes Better Homes and Gardens, Condé Nast Traveler, Esquire, Elle, Fortune, Glamour, Parents, People, Popular Mechanics, Real Simple, Sports Illustrated, TIME, The New Yorker, Vanity Fair and many more. Our magazines are custom-designed for the tablet experience and include enhancements such as videos, bonus photography and interactive features.
Next Issue Media is looking for a Big Data Engineer to help build our new data warehouse from the ground up. We're looking for a detail-oriented engineer to support the regular and ad hoc reporting requests that come to the new Data Analytics team.
Are you interested in backend data processing and analysis? Are you always thinking of new ways to present data for the biggest effect? If so, we'd like to talk with you about joining our growing team.
- Manage the regular reporting responsibilities for the Data Analytics team and respond to requests for data as needed
- Develop processes and tools to improve monthly reader reporting workflow
- Design, create, and improve big data tool integration and workflow implementation
- Continue to improve the data workflow as the data pipeline matures; determining the most effective way to add value
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 2-3 years of Java development experience
- Competent working in Linux development environment
- Solid understanding of SQL and/or Hive
- Experience with scripting languages (bash and python)
- Experience with Hadoop tool suite (sqoop, pig, hive, hbase,) preferred
- Competitive Salary
- Full medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- 401K matching
- Offices in Menlo Park (close to Menlo Park Caltrain station) and Financial District
- Fitness center, yoga, ping-pong, pinball, and team bonding events
- A fun, flexible, and friendly startup
If you love magazines and want to be a part of a company that is revolutionizing the digital space, please apply!