- Menlo Park, CA
Next Issue Media, the company behind the Next Issue digital newsstand and app, is a joint venture formed by five leading U.S.-based publishers – Condé Nast, Hearst, Meredith, News Corp., and Time Inc. The company was formed to develop, market and deliver interactive digital editions of the world’s most popular magazines and newspapers optimized for the digital device of your choice.
Next Issue offers "all-you-can-read" unlimited access to our entire catalog of digital magazines, starting at just $9.99 per month.
The Next Issue newsstand and app includes Better Homes and Gardens, Condé Nast Traveler, Esquire, Elle, Fortune, Glamour, Parents, People, Popular Mechanics, Real Simple, Sports Illustrated, TIME, The New Yorker, Vanity Fair and many more. Our magazines are custom-designed for the tablet experience and include enhancements such as videos, bonus photography and interactive features.
Next Issue Media has an exciting opportunity in our Network Operations team for an self motivated, energetic and tenacious Network Operations Engineer who is enthusiastic about systems administration and site reliability. We are in the process of moving to the cloud from a co-location based operation and this position will play a key role in supporting this project. You will be responsible for designing and supporting our network infrastructure, and managing our rapidly growing LAMP servers on private and public cloud infrastructure.
- Build and manage hybrid cloud server networks in development, QA and production environments.
- Provision managed services and associated products to customers.
- Assist in formulating security mechanisms to prevent, detect, and respond to internal and external security threats.
- Work with a team to automate management tasks, streamline processes and perform standard administration functions as needed.
- Monitor system performance, make recommendations to improve and implement system wide changes to enhance overall system proficiency.
- Validate deployment candidate packages and write deployment plans.
- Monitor network availability and performance.
- Provide architectural input and capacity planning strategies to ensure system scalability and functionality.
- Participate in a 24/7 on-call rotation.
- 4+ years network administering and managing Linux Systems.
- 2+ years experience on using public cloud hosting services from Amazon or similar.
- Experience with manageable switch (from Cisco), firewall (from Juniper), Load balancer (from F5), and Hadoop.
- Experience with translating conceptual design to physical layout.
- Solid understanding of various Linux distributions CentOS, Ubuntu or equivalent.
- Understand server virtualization technology such as KVM and Xen.
- Solid understanding of various protocols such as DNS, NIS, LDAP and NFS.
- Familiar with revision control system (SVN, Git); network management tool (Zabbix, Nagios, Cacti); communication tool (wikis).
- Experience with web application such as Apache, Tomcat and Jetty.
- Strong scripting skills such as Python, PHP, and bash.
- Good understanding of database system such as PostgreSQL and MySQL.
- Strong, creative problem solving and analytical skills.
- Results oriented aggressiveness in meeting commitments.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong communication skills (written and oral).
- Flexible and responsive to changing situations.
- Handle pressure-filled situations in a professional manner.
- Bachelor’s Degree in IT, Computer Science, or equivalent.
Nice to have:
- Experience with centralized log analysis tools - syslog-ng, Splunk, etc.
- Familiar with deployment tool (Chef, Puppet).
- Experience working in large load balanced environment.
- Working in a multi-datacenter environment.
- Competitive Salary and opportunity for career growth
- Full medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- 401K matching
- Offices in Menlo Park (close to Menlo Park Caltrain station) and Financial District
- Fitness center, yoga, ping-pong, pinball, and team bonding events
- Healthy snacks, drinks, and weekly lunches
- A fun, flexible, and friendly startup
If you love magazines and want to be a part of a company that is revolutionizing the digital space, please apply!