Java Software Engineer
- Menlo Park, CA
Next Issue Media, the company behind the Next Issue digital newsstand and app, is a joint venture formed by five leading U.S.-based publishers – Condé Nast, Hearst, Meredith, News Corp., and Time Inc. The company was formed to develop, market and deliver interactive digital editions of the world’s most popular magazines and newspapers optimized for the digital device of your choice.
Next Issue offers "all-you-can-read" unlimited access to our entire catalog of digital magazines, starting at just $9.99 per month.
The Next Issue newsstand and app includes Better Homes and Gardens, Condé Nast Traveler, Esquire, Elle, Fortune, Glamour, Parents, People, Popular Mechanics, Real Simple, Sports Illustrated, TIME, The New Yorker, Vanity Fair and many more. Our magazines are custom-designed for the tablet experience and include enhancements such as videos, bonus photography and interactive features.
Next Issue Media is looking for a Java Software Engineer with 5+ years experience to join our team with experience in web-based applications with strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Analyze user requirements related to digital publishing content conversion to create technical specifications and designs.
- Development and coding of designed modules and common components.
- Enhance existing code base through feature addition, refactoring and bug fixes.
- Support all testing, change and release management activities for projects and change requests.
- Receive production issues from help desk and customer service, analyze & fix issue
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- 3+ years hands on Java EE development experience including Java, Hibernate, Spring IoC, Spring JDBC, etc.
- Strong experience in Customizing Java Design Patterns and ORM Framework
- Hands-on Experience in Web and Application Server Experience
- Proven exposure in areas such as J2EE, XML, Web Services (using SOAP/REST)
- Experience in using and managing change management tools, Subversion, git, etc.
- Experience with a wide variety of testing tools and techniques, i.e. JUnit
- Development experience in a Linux/Unix environment
- SQL scripting
- Thorough understanding of bash shell and Linux commands
- The candidate should demonstrate strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Python, Groovy scripting
- Experience with e-publishing formats, pdf, folio and image/media processing
- Jenkins, maven, build system automation
- Debian/Ubuntu Linux packaging
- Distributed processing
- Amazon AWS/EC2
- Automated integration testing
- Competitive Salary
- Full medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- 401K matching
- Offices in Menlo Park (close to Menlo Park Caltrain station) and Financial District
- Fitness center, yoga, ping-pong, pinball, and team bonding events
- A fun, flexible, and friendly startup
If you love magazines and want to be a part of a company that is revolutionizing the digital space, please apply!