- Menlo Park, CA
Next Issue Media, the company behind the Next Issue digital newsstand and app, is a joint venture formed by five leading U.S.-based publishers – Condé Nast, Hearst, Meredith, News Corp., and Time Inc. The company was formed to develop, market and deliver interactive digital editions of the world’s most popular magazines and newspapers optimized for the digital device of your choice.
Next Issue offers "all-you-can-read" unlimited access to our entire catalog of digital magazines, starting at just $9.99 per month.
The Next Issue newsstand and app includes Better Homes and Gardens, Condé Nast Traveler, Esquire, Elle, Fortune, Glamour, Parents, People, Popular Mechanics, Real Simple, Sports Illustrated, TIME, The New Yorker, Vanity Fair and many more. Our magazines are custom-designed for the tablet experience and include enhancements such as videos, bonus photography and interactive features.
Next Issue Media is looking for a UX Designer to join the team in building out a new way for readers to consume high-quality, curated content.
The right designer will take initiative and work both independently and collaboratively to ensure a great, consistent reading experience across mobile and tablet. He or she will work closely with product management to define core layers of functionality, then help engineering execute that functionality via mockups, wireframes, prototypes and face-to-face communication.
If you like poring over design blogs, follow your favorite designers on Twitter and spend an inordinate amount of time making things pixel perfect, then you’re who we're looking for.
- Designing across a variety of platforms, including Android, the web and iOS.
- Collaborating with product in defining user stories via mockups, wireframes and textual description
- Working with the engineering team to maximize usability and performance by participating in agile development processes (attending daily stand-ups, providing documentation for estimates, etc.)
- Advocating for our customers and representing their needs and perspectives to the team
- BA in Human Computer Interaction or BFA in Design
- 3+ years experience designing for both web and mobile apps (familiarity with Android a huge plus)
- Strong aesthetic sensibilities (typography, composition, etc.)
- Knowledge of user-centered design principles and current web and mobile trends/standards
- Familiarity with web commerce/purchase flow best practices a plus
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite, experience with OmniGraffle and/or Balsamiq
- Strong attention to detail, ability to communicate ideas effectively, experience with start-up environment a plus but not required
- PDF with examples of work or link to online portfolio required
- Competitive Salary and opportunity for career growth
- Full medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- 401K matching
- Offices in Menlo Park (close to Menlo Park Caltrain station) and Financial District
- Fitness center, yoga, ping-pong, pinball, and team bonding events
- Healthy snacks, drinks, and weekly lunches
- A fun, flexible, and friendly startup
If you love magazines and want to be a part of a company that is revolutionizing the digital space, please apply!