- Work Arrangement: Permanent
At Nine, we're reinventing how the country consumes news, across our digital web and mobile app properties such as the Sydney Morning Herald, The Age & The Australian Financial Review.
Our entirely cloud-first tech stack was built from the ground up around two years ago, with a fully automated, Slack integrated CI/CD DevOps environment and we need more engineers to take it to the next level.
Are you are looking for a driven, diverse and collaborative work environment? Would you like to work with amazingly talented colleagues in a business with the scale of a major media company? We'd love to talk with you, so apply today.
As a member of the Platform Engineering team, you will spend your days managing the key shared components of our modern cloud based technology stack. Nine Publishing operates with a devops culture and, as such, you will be primarily responsible for continuous improvement to the shared components, and the rewarding role of assisting our talented team of engineers in getting their code to production systems reliably.
The role involves engineering infrastructure solutions for scale and performance, while providing strong guarantees of availability.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Automate the building of infrastructure in an environment running on AWS/Kubernetes, providing a Continuous Integration operational environment. Using different technologies all the way from edge through the various caching and API layers, to the core apps deployed in the Kubernetes cluster.
- Work with the development and/or application support teams to support the building of a deployment plan for the new project, identifying all infrastructure tasks necessary for successful deployment. Support the team on all deployment tasks to the timely completion of those tasks. Follow processes and adhere to standards, to achieve a high level of quality. Handover documentation and knowledge to the wider team when closing out a new deployment.
- Put in place system monitoring tools for all services and elements that affect availability; ensuring monitoring thresholds are set to allow adequate time for corrective action; ensuring alerts are sent for exception events only and help rationalise on-call alarms; investigating root cause for all problems through our PIR process; ensuring that fixes are implemented to all systems to prevent the same problem occurring on other systems; working with colleagues to ensure escalation process is followed.
- Work with team members responding to security events promptly, including; repelling attacks and addressing vulnerabilities; ensuring that all systems comply with company security policies; working collaboratively on strategies to make our infrastructure immune to attacks utilising solutions like WAF; ensuring all systems are backed up and appropriate retention policies are in place.
- Load testing and auto-scaling existing systems to ensure they are capable of sustaining peak loads including unusual news events that occur.
- Demonstrate awareness of any future projects that may impact the infrastructure capacity.
- Develop close relationships with the development teams and ensure they are aware of lead times and costs of building solutions.
- Support the team in keeping all systems documentation up to date and relevant.
- Be available (on call) as part of a rotating support roster.
The ideal candidate will have the following attributes:
- Linux or strong Microsoft System Administration experience
- Experience in cloud deployment using a CI/CD solution such as Concourse, Jenkins, Travis.
- Experience in deploying cloud infrastructure using CloudFormation, Terraform or CF DSLs such as Troposphere or Sparkleformation
- Exposure to system state management tooling like Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Salt Stack.
- Exposure to Docker and/or Kubernetes - Ability to build and deploy a container on Kubernetes is a big advantage
- Strong scripting and coding skills - Golang experience is a big advantage
- Ability to multitask and excellent spoken and written communication skills - Comfortable with context switching and managing multiple tasks
- Independent thinker, but good team player, who takes ownership of ideas and solutions through to delivery
- Analyse failures and identify root causes in a collaborative environment - Own and action solutions
- Contribute to the agile/scrum and test-driven engineering culture with creative problem-solving, collaborative mind.
Above all else, we really like working with people who have a strong, positive learning attitude. So if this role sounds good, but you feel you might need to catch up on some skills, we'd still love for you to apply. Skills can be learned, attitude is everything.
Why we like working here:
- Flexible hours and extended parental leave policy
- Focus on career development through level up sessions, access to workshops, sponsored conference attendance, access to online material
- Hackathons and themed showcases
- Social Slack channels like #camping, #tabletop-gaming, #dad-jokes
Media is a fast-changing environment that provides interesting engineering challenges working at scale. Don't miss the opportunity to be a part of this team.
Nine embraces all aspects of diversity & inclusion and is committed to creating a workplace that reflects the diversity of customers, audiences and communities we serve.
Disclaimer: Nine does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Nine is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.