- Nottingham, UK
Here at NPS we have a simple set of values that sets out who we are as a company. We are:
Intelligent – we make the right choices
Involved – our enthusiasm creates energy
Innovative – we always ask what’s next
Our business is all about making lives safer, healthier, better managed and mobile
Our software underpins critical police, health, housing and local government services, ensuring delivery of the right data at the right time to protect and improve people’s lives.
We’re as committed to the positive social outcomes of our customers’ services as they are, which means we put people first. In the interfaces and systems we design, and the software support and development service we provide.
Across the world, billions of people every day rely on the services and benefits provided by their police, health services, housing and local government. Their home, welfare, wellbeing and security often depend on them.
We create and manage the software that connects people with these services. We design smart interfaces and data processes to ensure services are easy to use, always on, relevant, accurate and trusted.
Using internet, mobile and AI technology, we are designing new tools that maximise the positive experience people have of critical services, and helping to make sure they are safer, healthier, better managed, and able to organise their life on the go.
Working closely with our customers – the service providers – we define people’s needs today and in the future – and work intelligently to continuously improve our software products and data management.
Our software underpins the performance of our customers as they serve their customers. Our constant focus is making sure our software is stable, efficient, cost efficient and secure.
We’re proud of the role we play, improving people’s lives through dependable critical services. With a growing number of customers globally, we’re going to make a difference to millions of people more.
Based in the UK but working around the world, our 2,000 employees help improve the services that matter most.
We are now part of the NEC corporation, a leader in the integration of IT and network technologies that benefit businesses and people worldwide – this brings in new opportunities without limits for growth and innovation.
The role will be working within a mature 2nd line support team, with responsibility for resolving incidents raised by customers, via the NPS Service Desk, for the CONNECT Police software.
You will be joining a team with strong technical background who formerly had roles in development, end user support and software implementation disciplines.
About the role:
● Provide software application support;
● Own and undertake the investigation of complex application incidents;
● Recreate scenarios on internal test environments to provide evidence of defects;
● Identify and document workarounds;
● Work within contractual SLAs;
● Work to ITIL aligned support process procedures;
● Work closely with other NPS Teams and 3rd parties;
● Participate in an Out of Hours on call rota.
KNOWLEDGE, QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Experience of working with complex bespoke software applications either in a Support, Development or QA role;
- Experience of working within a structured process driven environment;
- Experience of using an IT Service Management tool or similar;
- ITIL Foundation certificate;
- Experience of investigating data related issues within a relational database;
- Capability to generate and manipulate SQL scripts used to query and manage database content;
- Ability to check log files and restart services on a number of operating systems including Microsoft Windows and UNIX Solaris;
- Understand principles of software development within an ISO 9001/ISO 20000 accredited environment
Exposure to the following:
- Microsoft Windows Servers environments;
- UNIX Solaris servers environments;
- Microsoft .net;
- Active MQ
PERSONAL SKILLS AND COMPETENCES
- Self-motivated and persistent with a desire to learn and enjoys helping people;
- Demonstrate solid analytical and lateral thinking skills;
- Capable of communicating to technical and non technical staff unambiguously at all levels with respect to support calls;
- Willing to challenge and improve existing processes and practices;
- Proactive and forward thinking to stop incidents occurring;
- Capability to multi-task and balance complex customer and internal priorities;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Willing to travel (when required) to customer sites;
- Ability to contribute and participate in identification of permanent fixes;
- Exhibit empathy and patience during interactions with customers
Employees of Northgate Public Services are entitled to the following Company funded benefits:
Single Private Medical Cover (with the option to select family cover at additional cost)
25 days paid holiday (includes 3 company nominated days) with the option to buy/sell up to 5 days
4 x basic salary life assurance over
A Group Pension Plan with fantastic employer contributions
A selection of tax efficient flexible benefits to suit your individual needs
The role offers a competitive salary
Candidates must be able to demonstrate a pre-existing right to work and travel within the EU. Documentary evidence will be required.
All offers are subject to satisfactory vetting and reference checks. Depending on the nature of the role a Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) check may also be required.
Northgate Public Services is an equal opportunities employer, welcoming applications from all communities.