Postdoctoral Research Associate in High-Performance Networking
- Oak Ridge, TN
Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the US Department of Energy’s largest multi-program science and energy laboratory, with scientific and technical capabilities spanning the continuum from basic to applied research. Located in the city of Oak Ridge, ORNL is in the eastern part of Tennessee in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains.
The Extreme Scale Systems Center and the Complex Systems Group in the Computer Science and Mathematics Division, at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher in the field of high-performance networking, in particular to include the areas of 100 Gbps long-haul transport and Software Defined Networks (SDN). Our research entails the design, analysis, implementation and testing of end-to-end networking solutions that comprise of long-haul and edge network devices as well as host systems with multiple network interfaces.
The successful candidate will have a proven record of conducting research and hands on experience in developing end-to-end, high-performance networking solutions, preferably, at 100Gbps and higher speeds by utilizing SDN-enabled devices. Candidates should have strong analytical, network configuration and software development skills, including the ability to develop, analyze and test working end-to-end networking solutions. The preferred analytical skills include statistical analysis of network tests and measurements, non-linear stability analysis of SDN controllers, and security analysis of end-to-end network solutions.
The job will require collaborating with vendors, national laboratories, universities and other research partners in leveraging experimental test beds and networking software.
Job Responsibilities include:
- Design, analysis, implementation and testing of end-to-end solutions for efficient and reliable data transport over long-haul 100 Gbps long-haul connections
- Design, analysis, implementation and testing of SDN solutions, including controllers and north-bound applications, for performance-based long-haul operations
- Publications in peer-reviewed journals and conference proceedings
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mathematics or a related area
- Background in network configuration, including data- and control-planes
- Strong analysis and programming skills
- Strong communication skills
This position requires access to technology that is subject to export control requirements. Successful candidates must be qualified for such access without an export control license. As a result, U.S. Citizenship or LPR (Lawful Permanent Residence) is required.
Applicants cannot have received the most recent degree more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. Certain exceptions may be considered. This position is a temporary, full-time assignment not to exceed 24 months.