Engineering Team Lead
- 33 Holborn, London EC1N 2HT, UK
- Job Level: 5
At Octopus we’re transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people. We’ve built market-leading positions in a number of specialist sectors, including smaller company financing, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ in excess of 750 people and manage more than £8 billion on behalf of over 50,000 investors. Our products don’t just help real people solve real life problems, they also make a positive impact on the world around us.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures, Octopus Wealth and Octopus Renewables. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions generate wealth. And we’re always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values.
Octopus Labs is hiring a Team lead to lead a team that build high volume FinTech platforms from the ground up.
Reporting to the Head of Engineering, the Team Lead will be a visible Agile leader from a technical background who is responsible for successful delivery management within their team.
This is an excellent opportunity to utilise your management and delivery expertise whilst also understanding adding technical value and utilising your coding skills at the same time.
You will work closely with the Product Managers to manage the successful agile delivery of our software and empower the team to deliver high quality, secure and scalable products as well as managing and supporting the careers of the developers within your team.
Day to day:
You will work closely with the Product Managers to understand the Product roadmaps and plan and estimate current priorities and future delivery with the team and the Tech Lead. You will own and run the day to day Scrum ceremonies and task management for the developers and QA and empower the team to deliver high quality, secure and scalable products.
You will manage, mentor and support the careers of your team of around 5 developers, both Python and React, with technical direction from the Tech Lead where appropriate.
- Octopus Labs is driving innovation and technical change throughout Octopus Group
- We're one of the largest VCs in Europe.
- We love entrepreneurs.
- We're happy for you to keep working on your side-projects.
- Started in a bedroom 19 years ago and still run by the same founders we have a strong entrepreneurial flair and a culture of always asking questions
OUR TECH STACK
At Octopus Labs we’re building a suite of micro-services in Python, running on Tornado and hosted on Kubernetes in Google Cloud with MySQL databases. Our front-end developers use React, and we utilise Jenkins for our deployment pipeline and Sentry for exception reporting. We are integrating everything, from our own micro-services to third-party tools, into Slack.
- Flexible working hours
- Stunning office
- Competitive Salary + benefits
- Diverse/multinational team
- You have solid technical understanding and experience in either a development or technical testing role, preferably Python or React
- You have experience in developing the technical skills and careers of others within a team, mentoring and guiding objectives
- You have been responsible for the task management and agile delivery of software projects as either a delivery manager or Scrum Master
- You can foster a positive, collaborative team spirit with a can-do attitude
- You are the tech team’s representative for the project, you lead planning, delivery and estimation discussions and are the voice of the team in meetings where the whole team is not involved
- You will collaborate with the Tech Lead to ensure alignment of solutions, best practice and adherence to secure coding standards and the SDLC
- You have experience of working with cloud technologies
- You have an understanding of the tools that can be used to keep our systems secure (automated pen tests, static code analysis etc.)
- Experience in a regulated financial business would be an advantage
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don't just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strengths:
- We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company's vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for.
- We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold.
- We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in.
- We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and were always learning, adapting and improving.
- We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.