Senior Oracle DBA
- Philadelphia, PA
The Office of Innovation and Technology (OIT) is the central IT agency for the City of Philadelphia headed by the Chief Innovation Officer.
To view other available job opportunities, please visit: http://www.phila.gov/itjobs.
The Office of Innovation and Technology is the central IT agency for the City of Philadelphia headed by the Chief Innovation Officer (CIO). The Senior Database Administrator position is a full performance level Database Administration position managing several databases within the City's specific operating systems environment. This position will serve as Database Administrator for the development and production of both Oracle and other Client/Server Databases and be responsible for new software installs, organization, installation and support of enterprise relational database management systems, multiple applications, and multiple environments including hardware, network and interface implications. Duties include database creation, maintenance, advanced backup, and recovery. The successful candidate must reside in the City of Philadelphia or establish primary residence in the City of Philadelphia within six months of employment.
- Familiarity with navigating through online documentation
- Designs logical and physical databases or reviews description of changes to database to understand how changes to be made affect physical database
- Communicates with managerial, administrative and technical staff to determine information needs, data flows and systems definitions
- Manages the distribution and retention of data on various storage devices
- Provides day to day advice to users on data structures and terminology
- Develops policies and procedures related to the support and maintenance of database applications
- Modifies database programs to increase processing performance, database tuning
- Provides input for strategic planning
- Performs database administration duties, including installation, patching, backup and recovery management, space management, schema management, startup and shutdown.
- Knowledge of RMAN (Oracle Recovery Manager) and OEM (Oracle Enterprise Manager)
- Proficiency in PL/SQL
- Knowledge of JAVA, J2EE, XML, MVS is a plus
- Experience with Oracle Discoverer is a plus
- Providing consulting services to various internal customers
- Providing supervision and instruction to entry level and intermediate level Database Administrators.
- Other duties as assigned
- Put together and execute backup and recovery plans.
- Work with existing staff, consultants, vendors and clients in an effective manner
- Create clone databases as needed.
- Perform operating system administration including OS installation patching, updates, tuning, performs backups, manages backup media, monitoring, security, user management, and file system management.
- Evaluate new hardware and software
Essential competencies, duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Considerable working knowledge of Oracle 9I and 10g database environment (Including RAC)
- Considerable working knowledge of operating system environments including:
- WINDOWS 2003/2008
- Sun Solaris OS
- Linux OS
- Executing basic OS commands
- Navigating through directory structures
- File management using copy, move and delete
- Shell scripting
- Installing and maintaining the DBMS and related software
- Working knowledge or ability to learn the Sybase database environment
- Working knowledge of ability to learn the SQL Server database environment
- Working knowledge of Windows 2003 Server operating environment
- Maintenance of Database integrity and various interfaces
- Enforcement of Quality Control and Database standards in the deployment and development of applications
- Enforcement of the SDLC (Software Development Life Cycle) process
- Enforcement of information security policies
- Management of the various SLAs (Service Level Agreements)
Education and Experience
- Completion of a Bachelors degree program at an accredited college or university, which has included major course work in Computer Science, information science, systems analysis, software engineering, or a closely related field. A postgraduate degree is a plus.
- A minimum of 5 years in database administration.
· Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Oracle 9I or 10g certification is required.
Salary Range: $90,000 - $95,000
The City of Philadelphia is an Equal Opportunity Employer