- Toronto, Canada
POSITION SUMMARY: The Pastry Chef will have the ability to create unique offerings for our guests and inspire the pastry team to do the same. The candidate will run the pastry department which will produce a strong focused dessert program which will include pastries, desserts and confections.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Direct the day-to-day activities of the pastry kitchen team. Duties may include advising staff of formal policies and procedures. Hiring, training, managing and scheduling kitchen staff as directed by the Executive Chef.
- Supervise, develop and train all pastry staff and provide a model of leadership for the entire kitchen team.
- Lead by example as a hands on Pastry Chef to ensuring the quality & consistency of all products served.
- Ensure that all food is prepared to the exacting standards as set out by the Executive Chef.
- Control food costs by maintaining accurate records of all food ingredients used throughout the pastry kitchen.
- Ensure that all menu items have their recipes recorded, costs tallied and updated on an ongoing basis.
- Ensure that food waste is kept to a minimum.
- Ensure all operating procedures are followed, identify and correct any organizational problems that impact the effectiveness of the operation.
- Ensure that all health, safety and cleanliness standards are adhered to and correct any deficiencies.
- Handle all special requests and guest allergies to ensure guest health and satisfaction.
- Promote teamwork and quality service through daily communication and coordination with front of house and back of house management team.
- Other duties or responsibilities as assigned or required.
- Minimum of 5 years progressive experience in a high volume Pastry and Bakeshop where quality and presentation are unmatched, inclusive of 2-3 years tenure at the Pastry Chef level.
- A record of effective training, supervision and administration
- Knowledge of local and Canadian pastries, desserts and confections
- Knowledge of new trends in presentation and preparation
- Proven ability to deal effectively with staff-related issues