Product Development Engineer (80-100K)
- Detroit, MI
Onward Technologies Inc is a Global Engineering and Design Services company with offices in North America, Europe & Asia. We are a team of 1700+ engineers providing high end design, consulting and professional services in the mechanical engineering domain. To know more about us please visit - http://www.onwardgroup.com.
JOB TITLE: Product Development Engineer
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Director of Product Development
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: N/A
GENERAL SUMMARY: Perform engineering analysis, design and project management for the development of new and improved products. Assist with the development and implementation of design processes and standards. Research and understand the products market in relation to customer needs and future outlook and use the information to develop and improve products and technologies to drive the future growth of the Company.
1. Lead and execute design projects from concept stage to completion including the establishment and maintenance of product specifications.
2. Produce CAD models and drawings. Create Bill of Materials, develop cost estimates, write new product specifications, and provide manufacturing support as required.
3. Perform engineering calculations and provide technical support regarding current and new designs and evaluate products for appropriate physical properties and performance.
4. Design project deliverables include: feasibility assessments, determining and analyzing customer needs and requirements, product conceptualization and design, prototyping/testing, design for manufacturability, production preparation and product launch.
5. Work with customers to promptly resolve product issues via root cause problem solving methods and follow through on any Customer Concerns to ensure customer satisfaction and ensure root Cause identified and eliminated.
6. Work cross-functionally with other disciplines within the company to generate new sources of revenue, develop products of maximum profitability and provide technical support to Manufacturing and Sales colleagues. 7. Respond to customer requests for technical information relative to product specifications, applications, and functionality, product quality issues, and product demonstrations.
8. Coordinate sample supply requirements for engineering parts to the customer and the labs.
9. Supports all required program documentation including DFMEAs, Design Reviews, customer communications tracking, and customer documentation. 10. For test and validation related responsibilities, prepare and conduct engineering tests on new products, including the design and construction of laboratory test apparatus, Working scale models, and full-scale prototypes, and coordinate calibration release actives.
11. Assist in new product development efforts via feasibility studies, industry data analysis, direct customer Contact, design review activities, product improvement recommendations, engineering change order administration, prototype component specification and procurement, and support of overall company product continuous improvement activities. 12. Research and document corrective actions for reported product incidents and conduct field failure trend analysis in support of future product improvement design initiatives.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering.
Minimum of three years of work experience.
A thorough understanding of engineering design principles and material processing skills. Experience in performing engineering design and analysis and the development of 3-D solid models utilizing SolidWorks or similar.
Serve as a mentor to other engineers and detail orientated.
Demonstrated verbal and written Communication skills.
Demonstrated inter-personal skills. Highly motivated and energetic team player to take ownership of product development projects and lead to successful completion.
Prioritize and manage several projects at once with an ability to maintain Critical project timeliness.
Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
Ability to interface effectively with Customers.