Lead Network Engineer I Milwaukee, WI or Remote, USA
- Milwaukee, WI, USA
At Optiv, we’re on a mission to help our clients make their businesses more secure. We’re one of the fastest growing companies in a truly essential industry.
In your role at Optiv, you’ll be inspired by a team of the brightest business and technical minds in cyber security. We are passionate champions for our clients, and know from experience that the best solutions for our clients’ needs come from working hard together. As part of our team, your voice matters, and you will do important work that has impact, on people, businesses and nations. Our industry and our company move fast, and you can be sure that you will always have room to learn and grow. We’re proud of our team and the important work we do to build confidence for a more connected world.
The SOC Lead Network Engineer is key member of a 24x7 team of security experts providing security platform management and operations for global fortune 500 clients. The SOC Lead Network Engineer will help deliver the Optiv vision of redefining traditional SOC operations using automation, orchestration and analytics.
The SOC Lead Network Engineer’s role is to provide technical leadership to a small team of network engineers to streamline platform management and security operations support primarily for solutions that align with the following categories: Network Firewall, Intrusion Prevention Systems, Network Monitoring, Unified Threat Management, Web Security, Web Application Firewall, and Cloud Security.
In addition, the SOC Lead Network Engineer believes and lives the Next Generation SOC guiding principles:
- Deliver quality security outcomes
- Drive efficient and timely operations
- Actualize continual improvement and innovation
- Protect the customer
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively participate in a 24x7 delivery support team, which includes on-call and some weekend work.
- Lead a small team, providing daily mentorship to team members and oversight to all activities performed by them.
- Manage assigned security platforms, following clients’ procedures if required, which includes:
- Device health and availability monitoring
- Device health incident and problem resolution and escalation
- Configuration changes and request processing
- Device tuning and patching
- Major upgrade and enhancements review
- Hardware replacement management
- License management
- Create and maintain operational documentation required for technology management processes or to maintain device health.
- Complete assigned projects on time and with excellent quality.
- Be a thought leader in security engineering and operations delivery - driving automation, analytics, and advanced threat analysis.
- Continually improving delivery processes in order to drive operational excellence.
- Make recommendations for the improvement and growth of the Next Generation infrastructure and systems.
- Participate in quarterly business reviews with vendors and customers.
- Keep current with the latest vendor updates, expansion opportunities, and technology directions for all assigned platforms.
- Practice continual self-improvement thru education, training, and certification.
- Document time spent on each client daily.
Other duties as assigned.
- Experience with three or more of the following security platforms:
- Palo Alto Network Firewalls, Global Protect, and Panorama (primary skills)
- Juniper (Netscreen. SRX) Firewalls
- F5 Application Security Manager
- Pulse Secure SSLVPN
- Network Connect
- Cisco Sourcefire
- IT Service Management Incident and Service Request Tool (preferably Cherwell)
- 5+ years' Security Engineering or Information Security experience.
- 5+ years' networking experience.
- At least one certification in Security including Security+, GSEC, GCIA, GCIH, CISSP, CISM or other security specific vendor/product certifications.
- Certification in platforms listed under Required Skills, such as Palo Alto Networks Certified Network Security Engineer (PCNSE), Juniper Networks Certified Professional Security (JNCIP-SEC) or Zscaler Internet Access Cloud Professional (ZCCP).
- Hands on technical guidance for a small team
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree from four-year college or university in Information Technology, Information Security/Assurance, Engineering or similar area of study; at least 5 years' related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of Information Security and Networking required.
- Demonstrated technical knowledge of current network security, network hardware, protocols, and standards required.
- Proven ability to diagnose and troubleshoot technical issues required.
- Proven ability to make decisions and perform complex problem solving activities under pressure.
- Previous management and project leadership experience required.
- Ability to read and comprehend complex instructions, correspondence, and memos; to write correspondence; and to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients and other employees of the organization. Strong written and verbal communication skills are a must. Ability to clearly communicate via telephone, e-mail and in writing.
Why you’ll love it here:
If you are seeking a culture that supports growth, fosters success and moves the industry forward, find your place at Optiv! Optiv’s mission is to deliver comprehensive, integrated cybersecurity programs to optimize customer security programs to be more effective, efficient, manageable and measurable. Our aim is to become the world’s largest cybersecurity solutions integrator by leveraging our expertise in security technology, market-leading services, and innovative approaches. We have served more than 12,000 clients of various sizes across multiple industries, we offer an extensive geographic footprint, and have premium partnerships with more than 350 of the leading security product manufacturers. Optiv is a privately-held company backed by KKR, a leading global private equity firm.
With Optiv you can expect:
- An entrepreneurial and collaborative environment
- A competitive total rewards program
- Professional training opportunities
- Engaging and fun culture
- Opportunity to work with industry leading, talented peers