Senior Editor, Music
- Denver, CO
Owned and operated by a partnership between Cirque du Soleil and AEG, one of the leading sports and entertainment presenters in the world, and a wholly owned subsidiary of the Anschutz Company, AXS is a new event technology platform that powers venues, promoters and sports teams. AXS provides fans the opportunity to purchase tickets directly from their favorite venues via a user-friendly ticketing interface. AXS serves all phases of the event life-cycle beyond just ticketing, through its consumer facing website, AXS.com and the AXS App, as well as its portfolio of investment companies, including Carbonhouse, a leading developer of websites and mobile apps for venues, AXS Advantage, a proprietary “big data” consumer marketing platform for venues and teams, Examiner.com, the highly trafficked citizen journalism website and stakes in Gimbal, the world’s leader in proximity services and Bypass, the venue industry’s leading supplier of cloud-based food and beverage point-of-sale systems. For more information on AXS, please visit AXS.com.
AXS.com is emerging as the go-to brand for news, information, and entertaining content that inspires readers to get out of the house and experience live entertainment. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who is passionate about live music and is enthusiastic about becoming a cross-brand leader responsible for the day-to-day management and running of our suite of music channels that cross AXS.com, Examiner.com, and TheRowdy.com. The Sr. Editor oversees the creative development and production of daily news, event coverage and a variety of themed editorial packages.
The Sr. Editor reports to the VP of Editorial & Content Operations and will work collaboratively with them and across multiple departments to build audience across our music channels. This role requires the ability to manage freelance contributors and interact with staff at all levels in a fast-paced environment, sometimes under pressure, while remaining flexible, resourceful, positive and efficient, with a high level of enthusiasm and professionalism.
The right candidate will thoroughly recognize and understand quality digital content and know how to attract and engage diverse audiences with sharp editorial judgment, a deep understanding of distribution channels, and the ability to generate creative and original ideas while assessing the consumer value and partner potential.
• Drive editorial development and audience growth for our music channels, including the voice, tone, and personality of the channels
• Solicits, creates, and edits content to achieve quality output at scale
• Build the music audience by collaborating with marketing, promotions, and social media teams to leverage distribution channels and by optimizing content topics and style to achieve the best results
• Oversee the administration, management and retention of full-time editorial staff and a network of freelance content producers
• Identify content trends and opportunities to increase market share, leverage and promote events, and create and support media partnerships
• Constantly analyze performance to maximize results and to predetermine content needs and output to consistently drive audience consumption
• Partner with AXS business development, venue representatives and promoters to ensure rich coverage and mutually beneficial relationships inside and outside the broad AEG family of companies
Required Experience and Skills
• BS/BA in media, marketing or journalism, or related field
• Minimum 10 years of work experience in digital content production, with a proven track record of editorial or marketing leadership in the music/entertainment space
• Witty, snappy writer, able to develop and guide an online voice to support a unique and powerful brand
• Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills, especially in a digital environment
• High level of attention to detail, and the ability to translate high priority goals into manageable tasks while overseeing diverse operations
• Technical aptitude and comfort getting your hands dirty with light CSS, HTML, tags, video embedding, social integration, RSS feeds and other standard and non-standard content delivery methods
• Excellent analytical skills for optimizing content performance and identifying new opportunities; experience using Omniture, Google Analytics, Google and Bing Webmaster Tools and other analytic tools
• Deep familiarity with social platforms (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) and integrating content strategy into the platforms to increase audience
Desired Skills and Experience
• Passionate about music, accepting of multiple genres, with experience as a music journalist or industry vet who understands the significance of live entertainment for our audience and partners
• Creates a spirit of excitement with our contributors and with colleagues, and earns emotional commitment from the collective teams
• Has relationships within the industry to help fuel exclusive and premium content opportunities
• Attracts and engages creative talent, knows how to identify and activate the right content creators for the task at hand
• Is a superb communicator who is able to win both hearts and minds with a wide range of stakeholders
• Is consistently action-oriented and decisive; relentless focus on outcomes and creating new and better means to achieve success
Only those qualified for the position will be contacted for an interview.