Senior/Lead Technical Writer and Project Manager
- Hillsboro, OR
PTIGlobal is headquartered in Beaverton, Oregon and provides translation, localization, and managed services for world-wide customers. With its mission to help clients turn globalization strategy into tangible revenues, PTIGlobal manages the conversion of software, web content, documentation, and mobile apps into targeted languages, offering end users a seamless experience and transparent functionality.
We’re looking for a Senior Technical Writer with strong Project Management and Communication experience who will meet regularly with program managers, subject matter experts, and peers to identify product development program documentation deliverables. You will create documentation plans that categorize the deliverables, schedules, content providers - as well as, risks, assumptions and dependencies. You will assess project complexity and resources/time/skills required to complete each project, and provide cost estimates to our client. You negotiate/recommend the roles to be performed, resources, and time required to complete. You represent the plan to stakeholders, and maintain the plan over program lifecycle. For any given project (document, DITA topics, etc.) you will work with contributors including authors, editors, and publishers to mentor them on roles, tools usage, DITA/XML, processes, or schedules.
As a Senior Technical Writer you’ll gather content through networking, interviewing or other, in order to generate new topics, maps, documents from 'scratch'. Use authoring tools to edit for grammar, technical content, usability, legal and production purposes. Use Adobe Acrobat Pro to initiate PDF Shared Reviews. Work with stakeholders to compile and disposition feedback. Apply edits to source files to ensure content is up-to-day and accurate. In addition, you’re most successful Leading with minimal supervision, and find it gratifying to mentor junior writers and associates.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Team player with strong communication skills with a “teamwork” mentality, who is results oriented. A professional who can effectively communicate business requirements, evaluate ‘as-is’ business processes and define efficient ‘to-be’ processes as related to product technical information planning, development, review, reposit, reuse, deliver and publish. The ideal candidate would train others (formally and informally) on tools, processes and content best methods. This may include the creation and presentation of training materials to small teams and/or mentoring through one-on-one’s, or other channels as needed. Requirements include strong technical authoring, editing, and reviewing skills, as well as expert level understanding and experience with the following:
- Reposit processes - structured and unstructured.
- Document generation and file management system(s), such as Sharepoint, Documentum and others.
- Component Content Management Systems (CCMS) such as SDL Trisoft or others.
- Creating folders, templates, topics, maps per DITA industry specification.
- Using authoring tools such as MS Word, Adobe FrameMaker to generate information sets such as PDF Books and Volumes.
- Using scripting languages such as FrameScript, Perl, and Visual Basic to create scripts to automate data processing.
- Using manual and automated methods to convert text/tables/graphics content from applications such as MS Word, Adobe FrameMaker to structured XML/DITA compliant content.
- Converting content from Word to FM; convert FM to FM.
- Using illustration tools such as MS Visio and others to create and/or modify technical illustrations.
- Generating outputs such as XML, HTML, CHM or other, and use rendering engines such as Antenna House.
A degree in Technical Communications, Journalism, and/or English is preferred - with emphasis on Electrical Engineering or Computer Science. The successful candidate will have eight or more years of relevant Technical Writing and project management experience. Special consideration will be given to those with semiconductor product development and associated specifications experience:
- Must have
- Adobe Acrobat Pro, Adobe FrameMaker
- PDF, XML, HTML,CHM
- Sharepoint, Documentum
- MS Word, MS Visio
- DITA (Darwin Information Typing Architecture)
- SDL Trisoft, Antenna House
- JustSystems XMetal
- FrameScript, Perl, Visual Basic
- Preferred to have
- Advanced MS Project user
- Process Improvement tools and methods
- Strong people communication and soft-skills
SEND A COVER LETTER AND RESUME.
- Location: Hillsboro
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
- Please, no phone calls about this job.
- Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.