Manage a multi-lab layer two Ethernet network including two Windows 2008 servers, one remote desktop + file server, and one Hyper-V VM host server. Monitor the systems for problems, process share access requests, install necessary patches, and ensure tape backup jobs complete.
• OS Patching.
• Log monitoring.
• File permissions management.
• Monitor BackupExec tape backup jobs.
• Monitor syslog alerts from the network hardware.
• Convert simple user requests into basic layer-2 switch configurations.
Model of Servers and OS load:
• Dell PowerEdge R710.
• Windows 2008 Server R2 + Hyper-V + Symantec BackupExec.
• Ticket System: Numara Track-It!
Other tasks (servers):
• Duplicate Hyper-V VM’s from a template VM.
• Restore files from tape as needed.
• Occasional loading and unloading of tapes from our tape library.
• Assist IT if they need to investigate something on the servers.
Other tasks (networks):
• Responsible for RMA-ing server and network equipment with the vendor in case of failure.
• Assist IT in locating and remediating non-complaint devices plugged into networks.