- unknown, Chicago, IL
Based on Chicago, IL, Panopta is a leading provider of real-time performance monitoring. Panopta provides IT professionals and hosts reliable, actionable data for optimizing website and application availability, as well as managing service disruptions. If you want to work at a fun, fast-paced environment where innovation is our cornerstone of success, this might be the place for you.
Panopta is looking to hire a data analyst who will be responsible for data mining, analysis and reporting of the internet availability and performance data which we currently collect. This role serves as a bridge between the business and technical sides of the company and should be comfortable working in both environments. A successful candidate will play an active role in helping develop new product ideas and in generating publication-worthy insights and knowledge.
- Data exploration and mining of in-house data warehouses, log files and other data sources that cover performance and availability data for millions of sites on the Internet.
- Investigation and integration of third-party data sources to generate a more complete picture of our data and tease out deeper insights.
- Preparation of reports, white papers and blog posts summarizing discovered results.
- Generation of data exploration ideas based on your experience working with our datasets.
- Collaboration with development, operations and marketing groups to generate new data-enabled product offerings and content generation opportunities.
- Bachelors degree in statistics, math or economics preferred
- Strong analysis skills with the ability to draw conclusions and observations from large datasets.
- SQL and relational database experience, specifically with MySQL.
- Some familiarity with NoSQL tools and large data storage techniques. Experience with specific systems (Cassandra, MongoDB, Neo4J, Hadoop, HBase, etc.) desirable but not required.
- Light scripting or programming skills, especially the ability to work with open-source tools to perform data-analysis investigations, and the desire to get your hands dirty when existing tools aren't enough to solve the problem.
- Strong written communication skills, with the ability to express ideas clearly across a range of different writing targets from social media and by-lined articles to technical whitepapers.
- Basic Linux skills. Gurus not needed but you will need the ability to operate in a Linux-based environment.
- Familiarity and experience with SPSS, R and SAS a plus.
- Intellectual curiosity and a genuine passion for digging into data and generating interesting new ideas.
All positions unless otherwise noted are based in Chicago, IL.
All information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.