Sr. Database Developer
- Menlo Park, CA
Personalis is a genome-scale diagnostics company with a mission to pioneer genome guided medicine. Our priority is to obtain the most accurate genetic data from each sample, and then to draw the most reliable medically-focused conclusions from these. Our tests are based on whole human genome and exome sequencing, conducted in our state-of-the art laboratory. We analyze results utilizing proprietary databases, advanced human reference sequences, and sophisticated algorithms.
Personalis Genome Services provides academic, pharmaceutical, and biotech researchers an accurate and comprehensive end-to-end human genome sequencing and analysis solution. Our services support researchers engaging in large case-control and family-based genome studies of complex or Mendelian diseases and traits, pharmacogenomics, and cancer. Located in Menlo Park, CA, we are seeking a talented and highly motivated Sr. Database Developer to join our Team.
You will design, develop, and implement scientific databases in a cutting-edge genomics big data environment. This will involve working closely with scientific teams as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) providing leadership in database architecture and design. You will be implementing database development best practices for improving performance, scalability, and efficiency. Additional responsibilities include database maintenance as well as configuring and testing new database features for new releases.
- Design database schemas based on product requirements and entities
- Document schema design in E-R diagrams using MS Visio and maintain data dictionaries
- Write new stored procedures, functions, views, triggers, constraints, etc.
- Create application interfaces with the chosen development language.
- Review SQL query code written by application developers to ensure compliance to coding standards and best practices for maximum performance
- Create deployment and rollback scripts for all database objects manually or auto-generated
- Analyze access patterns and propose the best combination of indexes, constraints, foreign keys, and queries
- Troubleshoot performance problems and propose short term fixes and long term solutions
- Work with software architects and lead developers to come up with optimal database design
- At least 6 years of relational database development experience, with MySQL and/or Microsoft SQL Server, in a production environment
- Expertise with SQL
- Strong knowledge of of Linux shell and at least one dynamic language (e.g. Python)
- Thorough understanding of best practices for database maintenance, including index and file management, backups, failure recovery, database defragmentation, documentation
- Ability to analyze disk space requirements and hardware utilization, automate error notification
- Basic administration skills, such as backups, restores, taking and reverting snapshots, user/role security, access permissions, etc.
- NoSQL database development experience is a plus
- B.S. or higher in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field plus minimum 8 years industry experience; advanced degree preferred
- Prior experience in biotech, health care, bioinformatics, genetics, genomics, big data are a plus
Personalis is an equal opportunity employer. Personalis offers a competitive compensation package. If interested, please submit a letter of interest, resume and salary requirements to careers @ personalis.com.