- Seattle, WA
Precision Demand is a TV media agency and technology startup that brings together the experience of veterans from Microsoft, Amazon.com, aQuantive, mPoria, AskMe, AdECN, Goto/Overture, iProspect, Razorfish, and InfoSpace. We’re building the company that we all want to work at. We're small enough that everyone can see the direct impact they make on the business but growing large enough that we can tackle the really difficult problems as a team.
We're serious about data, statistics, algorithms, usability, and our customers. We're serious about working hard and making a difference. We're serious about being serious. Seriously. Or not. But we're definitely serious about working with great people. Our team members volunteer in our community, cheer on the Sounders (and watch them march to the match past our window), 'wine' down at the end of the week, challenge each other in games from Go to Guillotine to Trivial Pursuit, and represent in the summer volleyball league. We love the startup mentality of jumping in to do whatever it takes and don't miss the inertia and bureaucracy of large companies.
The (Senior) Database Engineer designs, implements, integrates, and improves both transactional databases and data warehouses. This includes overall relational database design; transactional databases that enable media planning, buying, and execution; and data warehouses supporting analytics, reporting, and other business intelligence. In this position, you will work directly on the core platform that we are building to bring measurability, intelligent analysis, scale, and efficiency to television advertising. Our platform includes libraries, web services, web applications, transactional databases, rich Internet/Silverlight applications, analytic models, security features, data integration systems, data warehouses, data visualization and reporting systems. You will be a key contributor to the architecture, function, and quality of software in an industry-changing company.
Candidates for this position should be skilled at understanding complex businesses, eliciting data requirements, and designing and implementing clean, intuitive, and efficient databases and data warehouses. They possess expertise in data modeling, dimensional modeling, and SQL Server development. They must be customer focused and thorough in understanding the use cases that their code will support. The ideal candidate is skilled at object-oriented design and development outside the database using modern languages like C#, and should have a history of using the right tool for the job. They should be innately curious and seek to understand things deeply and broadly; and quick to learn new topics and experiment with them. They should thrive in a fast-paced environment and excel at both collaborating with teammates, and directing their own work. Strong communication and writing skills, and the ability to do great work in a loosely structured environment, are required.
Past startup experience is strongly preferred. Candidate should live in or be willing to relocate to the Seattle area.
- Design, implement, maintain, and support relational and transactional databases that back application functionality including targeted media planning, buying, media execution, reconciliation, and reporting.
- Design, implement, maintain, and support data warehouses that power reporting, business intelligence, and analytics
- Collaborate with others to continually identify database and warehouse technical and business requirements, including hardware requirements and security requirements
- Collaborate with engineering team members to integrate data input and output with other systems, including web services and security systems
- Work to simplify and consolidate database code that supports multiple departments and systems
- Design and implement standardized data warehouse load, data cleaning, and aggregation processes
- Manage and debug production databases and warehouses
- Create test systems to validate and monitor the correctness and performance of database systems
- Support high-availability requirements including disaster recovery
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field, and 5-15+ years relevant and progressively challenging work experience
- Strong information modeling and relational data schema design skills
- Experience scaling SQL Server-based databases and/or data warehouses, including partitioning techniques
- Skilled in SQL Server database tuning and analysis
- Experience managing, debugging and supporting production database and/or warehouse systems
- Extensive experience working on real-world products (as opposed to internal tools or departmental applications)
- Strong communication, writing, and critical thinking skills; attention to detail
- Startup experience preferred; and/or a track record of going above and beyond your job title.
- Experience developing systems that generate and process large amounts of data; and use the data to answer questions or improve system behavior
- Enthusiasm for enabling innovative business models with technology.
Nice to have:
- Experience with SQL Server Analysis Services
- Interest in or familiarity with C#, .NET Framework, and Entity Framework.
- Experience with SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT), and/or using source control to version and release database code
- Expert in dimensional modeling
- Advanced skills in ETL and OLAP
- Experience with data mining and/or machine learning
- Familiar with standard statistical tests and algorithms
- Experience in designing and building web services, service-oriented architecture (SOA), and middleware systems
- Strong computer science fundamentals in data structures, algorithms, and complexity analysis
- SQL 2012 columnstore, SSAS tabular, and/or DAX proficiency
- Experience working with cloud data services
- Experience with big-data storage and processing systems like Hadoop, Cassandra, or Cosmos.
Television advertising spend is 60 billion dollars a year and growing. TV has triple the marketing dollars of online paid search and over six times the dollars spent on online display, it has a tiny fraction of the technology applied towards its measurement and optimization. It is unparalleled in its ability to drive demand and make a real business impact, but truly quantifying it is the biggest problem in advertising. At Precision Demand, we make it possible to target and measure the return-on-investment of TV advertising.
We don't think our clients should have to wait to quantify TV ROI just because it's really hard right now.
We build software to make convoluted logistics simple; we combine massively complex datasets to make media buying smarter; we develop algorithms to power unique insights; and we use scientific methodology to measure the unknown.
We're building a team of technologists, data experts, statisticians, scientists, software developers, analysts, UI creators, and media experts. We are looking for people that want to work with a hugely passionate, mildly sarcastic, and highly competent team in a startup tackling big, interesting, hairy problems that scare mere mortals.