SAN STORAGE ENGINEER
- San Jose, CA
As Storage Engineer, this position is responsible for the administration, maintenance, and performance of the datacenter SAN and NAS storage environment. This entails configuration and allocation of storage to servers, troubleshooting, problem reporting and remedial coordination with the hardware vendors, change management coordination, and site performance analysis and reporting.
Will Interface with Server, Database, and Backup administrators to design, build, and operate storage solutions and processes with other subject matter experts.
- Installation and configuration of storage hardware and software. This includes firmware and driver updates of all hardware components including HBA's, Switches, SAN/NAS units, multi-pathing software, and other specific point products related to storage.
- Server connectivity to the storage infrastructure. This includes the physical connectivity of the UNIX or Windows server to SAN and/or NAS storage offering. Requires configuration of server Host Bus Adapters (HBA's), switch zoning, storage LUN creation, and front to backend testing.
- Coordination of all storage related activities between business units, IT/Infrastructure Systems, and the hardware vendor(s) for new/existing projects. Manage storage changes to the Development, Test, Staging, and Production environments, application/server change management functions, and daily production status reporting.
- Knowledge of various vendor’s (EMC, IBM, HP etc.) storage platform technologies (SAN/NAS) including architecture, operational procedures related to management and monitoring of various storage software and hardware components
- Participate in planning activities for the growth of the storage environment and new emerging technologies.
- Prepare monthly storage capacity/utilization reports, vendor performance based on SLA, resource utilization, action plans, project plans, problem management/outage reports, and other documentation as required.
- Create/update/maintain all storage related documentation and diagrams of the storage hardware infrastructure. This will include operational run books, detailed server/switch/LUN topology.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Minimum 5 years' experience working in a vendor/customer service storage environment
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working with Storage hardware and SW technologies
- Advanced switch zoning and configuration of Cisco MDS and Brocade products
- Knowledge of multiple backup and recovery technologies (Cloning, Snapshots, replication)
- Advanced disk subsystem configuration (Raid level implementations, pools, BCV's)
- Working knowledge of 4+ operating systems (Windows Server 2003/2008, Linux 5/6)
- Working knowledge of 4+ disk subsystems (EMC - VNX, DMX, DD, NetApp)
- Working knowledge of multiple disk/ switch vendors (Cisco & Brocade)
- Working knowledge of multi-pathing software (EMC PowerPath)
- Advanced performance analysis of disk subsystems
- Understanding components of SAN attached storage to include device drivers, microcode levels, fiber channel adapters.
- Work with different hardware and software vendors to determine solutions
- Good understanding of data center operations, SLA management, and Change Management
- Good understanding of Networking in TCP/IP WAN environment is a plus
- Ability to diagnose and resolve technical problems and speak fluently to management regarding solutions and options for problem resolution.
- Ability to work closely with a variety of customers including; Infrastructure technical resources, Application technical resources, end users, and vendor sales/infrastructure professionals.
- Job Type: Full-Time (W2)
- Job Duration: Permanent
- Required Travel: Up to 10%
- Salary: Up to $125K