The academic advisor will advise students currently enrolled at Queens who are interested in health field related majors, with special attention to pre-BSN students, and participate in supplemental advising activities in the Center for Student Success. This is a full time position reporting to the Director of Academic Advising and works in close partnership with the administrative offices of the Blair College of Health and Presbyterian School of Nursing.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Contribute to developing a comprehensive plan for undergraduate advising grounded in best practices
- Collaborate with staff in the Center for Student Success and partners across campus to improve retention and student success.
- Meet with students interested in applying to degree programs in the Blair College of Health, including the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program.
- Communicate admissions requirements and assist applicants in understanding their transcripts and academic standings.
- Provide course planning and academic advising.
- Assist students with exploring majors within Queens in line with their academic abilities and interests.
- Identify trends and barriers to student progression.
- Develop academic intervention plans for pre-BSN students and Blair College of Health majors on probation and those with less than a 2.0 semester grade point average.
- Contribute to activities designed to assist students in academic difficulty, including workshops, resource development, and small group discussions.
- Assist the Director of Academic Advising with maintaining, updating, and disseminating resources that facilitate students' awareness and understand of their academic standing and progress.
- Serve as a member of an integrated team dedicated to improving student retention and timely graduation.
- Conduct group advising information sessions with pre-nursing majors.
- Represent the Student Success Center at open houses, admissions events, and other University functions.
- Other duties as necessary to meet University needs.