Administrative Assistant (College of Arts & Sciences)
- Charlotte, NC
This position is responsible for providing administrative support to the staff and faculty within the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) and Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing (MFA) program. This is a full-time (37.5 hours per week), non-exempt position reporting to the Assistant Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Greet visitors, students and faculty providing requested information, in person, by telephone and Internet.
- Provide clerical support such as photocopying, faxing, and mailing for faculty.
- Serve as the liaison to University marketing and community relations.
- Coordinate School and Program webpage updates using Ingeniux CMS.
- Manage applications and review process for the Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing (MFA) program.
- Reply to prospective MFA student inquiries and questions.
- Solicit reports and information from faculty such as signed contracts and load sheets.
- Solicit course syllabi and maintain CAS electronic documentation.
- Solicit and update course schedules and rotations.
- House and maintain confidential files.
- Organize and assist with bulk mailings.
- Coordinate dean’s list notifications and certificates.
- Generate and track part-time faculty and continuing education instructor contracts.
- Schedule honor council members, students, and faculty for hearings and appeals.
- Work with registrar and assistant dean to assure exemplary graduation processes and graduation week activities, including MFA graduation.
- Organize materials and take minutes for College meetings.
- Administer and summarize faculty and continuing education surveys.
- Schedule appointments and meetings for the dean and assistant dean.
- Run Jenzabar (ERP system) reports and provide Jenzabar access for the office.
- Reserve meeting space and parking for campus guests.
- Assist with event planning needs for College sponsored events.
- Maintain workroom copier and manage machine maintenance requests.
- Manage faculty professional development requests and budget spreadsheet.
- Provide specific office hours (9:45 a.m. - 6:15 p.m.) assisting evening classes.
- Assist with the MFA residencies (January and May).
- Other duties as necessary to meet department and University needs.
Experience, Knowledge & Skills Required
- Prior experience working in an office and/or academic environment.
- High level of energy, eager to welcome faculty and students warmly to the Dean’s Office.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Proven attention to detail, ability to establish priorities and meet deadlines; strong follow-up and follow-through to completion skills necessary.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills and experience interacting with multiple constituencies (faculty, staff, students, public).
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment, appropriately prioritize projects, and meet given deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Budget management experience preferred.
- Personal integrity, professionalism and a understanding of academic honor.
- Ability to safeguard sensitive and confidential information; knowledge of FERPA regulations helpful.
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and utilize new software programs.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
- Eager to learn new technology, web design or internal systems, previous experience in these areas preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in English or the equivalent in experience and education preferred.
Physical Requirements (with or without reasonable accommodation)
- Visual Abilities: Read reports, create presentations and use a computer system.
- Hearing: Hear well enough to communicate with co-workers, vendors, and students.
- Dexterity, Grasping, Feeling: Write, type and use the telephone, copier, and computer systems.
- Mobility: Open files and operate office machines; move between departments and attend meetings across campus.
- Talking: Frequently convey detailed or important instructions and ideas accurately, loudly, or quickly.
- Lifting, Pulling, Pushing: Exert up to 50 pounds for force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Work in office environment, involving contact with faculty, staff, students, parents, service providers and vendors.
- Work has deadlines, multiple interruptions, high volume and may be stressful at times.
- Work has occasional evening and weekend hours to support events and the bi-annual MFA residencies.
Queens University of Charlotte is a private, co-educational, Presbyterian affiliated comprehensive university located in the heart of Charlotte, North Carolina, and is consistently ranked in the top tier of Southern Regional Masters Universities. The university has more than 2,400 undergraduate and graduate students in programs offered by the College of Arts and Sciences, the McColl School of Business, the James L. Knight School of Communication, the Wayland H. Cato Jr. School of Education, the Andrew Blair College of Health and the Presbyterian School of Nursing. Additional information about Queens University of Charlotte may be found at www.queens.edu/Queens-Overview.
Queens offers medical (PPO or a high deductible option with Health Savings Account) and dental insurance, domestic partner benefits, defined contribution retirement plan & supplemental retirement plan, paid holidays, tuition remission, Queens-paid life insurance, supplemental life insurance, dependent life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, flexible spending accounts (medical, dependent care, qualified transportation expense), long-term disability leave, FMLA leave, reduced cost meals at Morrison Dining Hall, and employee assistance program (EAP).
If this sounds like the right job for you, then use the button below to submit your application. Be prepared to upload a cover letter, resume or CV, and contact information on three professional references. We look forward to reviewing your application.