Director of Enterprise Application Services
- Charlotte, NC
Summary: The Director of Enterprise Application Services (EAS) is responsible for ensuring an optimal user experience for university faculty, staff, and students. This position leads a team charged with understanding and documenting the functional needs of campus constituents; analyzing current and prospective system solutions; deploying appropriate technology solutions; establishing and maintaining automated data integrations and reporting; and ensuring system reliability. The Director of the EAS team provides oversight, coaching, and leadership in all aspects of the enterprise application lifecycle.
The Director is a member of the ITS Leadership Team and reports to the CIO
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include
- Provide clear expectations to direct reports.
- Provide coaching and regular feedback (positive and constructive) to direct reports to support growth.
- Conduct weekly Quick Connect sessions to help direct reports establish and achieve realistic goals/objectives that align with those of the unit, department, and university as communicated by the CIO. Hold regular staff meetings and 1-on-one staff coaching and feedback meetings.
- Provide regular personnel reviews and provide feedback (positive and constructive) to support employee development.
- Demonstrate a positive attitude and set an example for direct reports and colleagues.
- Oversee and support operational systems management of ERP, LMS, campus portal, intranet, and other enterprise applications to achieve target uptime and reliability of 99.9%.
- Conduct business analysis & provide leadership to ensure that functional business requirements are understood and documented, and seek to apply technology and process improvement strategies to implement and support solutions that meet defined business requirements.
- Oversee and demonstrate process improvement/management effectiveness to define, measure, analyze, improve, and control technology solutions for business problems.
- Provide hands-on systems design leadership to architect and develop technology solutions that maximize university technology investments and automate 100% of enterprise system data integrations.
- Serve as a leader and ITS team resource for Project Management principles.
- Establish, manage, and oversee Change Management standards for all enterprise applications.
Planning and Organizing
- Lead project sponsors, stakeholders, and teams through all phases of project and system lifecycles.
- Utilize data analysis to plan staff and resource allocations and to provide university leadership with appropriate information for strategic decision-making.
- Develop plans, system designs, data flow diagrams, and other appropriate documents to model and align enterprise systems to support defined university and ITS goals/objectives.
- Establish appropriate project timelines and coordinate project resources to deliver business solutions within approved time and budget parameters.
- Plan and account for account provisioning, user access, ERP integration, and data security/integrity as appropriate in all projects.
- Demonstrate attention to detail in all phases of project and system lifecycles.
Information Processing & Decision Making
- Prioritize allocation of time and resources in accordance with defined priorities as communicated by CIO.
- Actively look to maximize existing university investments and leverage existing systems to solve identified business problems.
- Work with ITS teams and customers to identify and understand functional requirements of enterprise applications.
- Actively look to eliminate repetitive manual processes.
- Identify potential impacts of new systems/processes or changes to existing systems/processes and guide implementation to ensure operational reliability.
- Coordinate with other ITS staff, functional users, and appropriate vendors to account for security (physical and logical), sustainability, disaster recovery, and business continuity measures in all solutions.
- Work with ITS teams, project teams, and institutional leadership teams in problem analysis, solution identification, implementation, and delivery activities.
- Work closely with ITS teams and campus customers to understand project requirements and recommend sustainable solutions that meet defined business and academic needs.
- Interpret meaning and importance of information. Determine appropriate need and method for keeping team members, customers/stakeholders, and management informed.
- Utilize plain language in all verbal and written communication.
- Communicate system availability and maintenance notices to campus in accordance with defined ITS standards.
- Develop clear functional requirements documents for modifications or enhancements to ITS managed systems and processes.
- Keep project, communication, testing, and training documentation updated using defined standards.
- Document systems and processes in accordance with defined standards.
- Develop and utilize responsibility assignment matrices and project schedules to communicate project objectives and status to all appropriate stakeholders.
- Be engaged and participate in individual discussions, project and team meetings.
- Establish partnerships with business units, ITS teams, and vendors to coordinate problem resolution for operational issues, and analyze root cause issues to address underlying system/process problems.
- Identify common issues and develop appropriate documentation, training, and/or tip sheets for (or in conjunction with) functional users.
- Analyze business processes and systems to provide leadership in maximizing unit resources and university ROI.
- Additional duties will be assigned as needed to meet department goals
Experience, Knowledge and Skills Required
5+ years of progressive experience in enterprise application development, implementation, and management encompassing:
- Systems Management
- Business Analysis
- Process Improvement/Management
- Systems Design/Development
- Project Management
- Change Management
- Personnel Management
- Basic SQL literacy highly desirable.
- PHP, Perl, VBScript/.net experience highly desirable.
- ERP management experience highly desirable. Jenzabar experience a plus. MS Visio, MS Project expertise.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Advanced degree highly preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Positive attitude and solutions-oriented thinking.
- Ability to communicate technical concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Work in office environment, involving contact with faculty, staff, graduate students, executives, donors, service providers and vendors.
- Work has deadlines, multiple interruptions, high volume and may be stressful at times.
Queens University of Charlotte is a private, co-educational, Presbyterian affiliated comprehensive university located in the heart of Charlotte, North Carolina, and is consistently ranked in the top tier of Southern Regional Masters Universities. The university has more than 2,400 undergraduate and graduate students in programs offered by the College of Arts and Sciences, the McColl School of Business, the James L. Knight School of Communication, the Wayland H. Cato Jr. School of Education, the Andrew Blair College of Health and the Presbyterian School of Nursing. Additional information about Queens University of Charlotte may be found at www.queens.edu/Queens-Overview.
Queens offers medical (PPO or a high deductible option with Health Savings Account) and dental insurance, domestic partner benefits, defined contribution retirement plan & supplemental retirement plan, paid holidays, tuition remission, Queens-paid life insurance, supplemental life insurance, dependent life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, flexible spending accounts (medical, dependent care, qualified transportation expense), long-term disability leave, FMLA leave, reduced cost meals at Morrison Dining Hall, and employee assistance program (EAP).
If this sounds like the right job for you, then use the button below to submit your application. Be prepared to upload a cover letter, resume or CV, and contact information on three professional references. We look forward to reviewing your application.