Summary: Under limited supervision, this position performs a wide variety of technical, clerical, recording and reporting pertaining to Department of Public Safety and Police operations. Responsible for the coordination and communications of all emergency and non-emergency operations of the Department of Public Safety and Police. Serves as a contact point for all Queens University of Charlotte operations. Responsible for communicating to appropriate department for service delivery and after hour response. This is a full-time position reporting to the AVP of Public Safety and Police.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Responds professionally and calmly to incoming calls on a multiple-line phone system (non-emergency and emergency); providing information and direction in a helpful, friendly manner and ensuring that requests are appropriately prioritized and addressed. Contacts officers or appropriate service provider for service and response, providing detailed information enabling appropriate response.
- Receives all incoming emergency and non-emergency telephone calls, radio calls and in-person contacts for the Department of Public Safety and Police.
- Directs contacts to the appropriate department personnel, answers questions and refers to appropriate agency or organization. Coordinates communications and contacts between departmental personnel, community members, and other individuals.
- Initiates and coordinates appropriate emergency response and responders actions by dispatching calls to Police, Security, Fire and Ambulance.
- Responsible for filing all hard copy records, documents and files according to the data privacy restrictions and the security of these records.
- Records and documents all incoming emergency and non-emergency calls, responses and activities. Responsible for the initiation and follow through of required and necessary reporting and record keeping process of all calls and department activities.
- Restricts movement into and around the police department facilities to assure security of information, equipment and records.
- Using the Community Orientated Policing philosophy, works with community members to identify public safety issues, problems and concerns and to resolve them using sound and ingenious methods of problem resolution.
- Monitors, records, and safety checks of on-duty police and security officers on a regular consistent basis.
- Performs administrative duties including photocopying, faxing, mailing and filing in an accurate and timely manner; seeks, suggests and implements improvements in processes.
- Systems and software used: Jenzabar, Johnson Controls, Kaba, and Isonas all access control, Word, Excel, Outlook, Report Exec (police records management software), and Computer Aided Dispatch Software (CAD).
- Enters information in the system to program doors and key cards.
- Coordinates issuance of parking decals, ensuring registrants enter information online and provide appropriate documentation prior to issuance of parking decal.
- Accurately and timely enters parking registration and appeals.
- Collects and distributes (with appropriate identification) lost and found items.
- Receives documents and secures property which is brought into the Department of Public Safety and Police by individuals which has been found. Attempts to identify and contact owner of such property.
- Manages key request for Queens University of Charlotte faculty and staff.
- Coordinates housekeeping and service workers key log, ensuring timely, accurate entry into key system.
- Accurately prepares registration and citations for the Manager of Parking and Transportation.
- Additional duties will be assigned as needed to meet the goals of the Department of Campus Safety and Police and Queens University of Charlotte by AVP of Public Safety and Police or the Chief of Police.