Data Center Analyst
- Charlotte, NC
The Data Center Analyst is a full-time position responsible for the ongoing support of the organization's data center and wired and wireless networks. The successful candidate will possess a high level of specialized knowledge in multiple areas of the university’s technology infrastructure and is expected to be a key contributor to the Network and Systems Services team charged with the development and support of the campus technology infrastructure. This position reports to the Director of Network and Systems Services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Install, maintain, support and improve University’s enterprise data center and server technologies; essential components of which include VMware, EMC storage Cisco UCS blade servers, Microsoft Windows Server and Active Directory.
- Monitor and analyze data center server infrastructure and related network environment to ensure reliability and resolve technical problems that may arise.
- Utilize strong problem solving, analytical and critical thinking skills to benefit the university by providing resolution of operational problems, cost savings and improvements in performance, efficiency and reliability.
- Provide shared support in managing and configuring the University LAN/WAN environment consisting primarily of Cisco hardware (switching, firewall, UCS) and Aerohive wireless.
- Design and perform server audits, and system/data backup and recovery procedures.
- Document network configurations, problems and resolutions for future reference.
- Other duties and special projects may be assigned to meet department goals.
Experience, Knowledge and Skills Required
- Excellent problem solving, critical thinking, analytical, oral & written communication skills required.
- Minimum of 5 years of Information Technology experience supporting medium to large data centers/networks.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Windows Server, Active Directory, Domains, Group Policy, DNS, DHCP, TCP/IP required.
- Practical experience with VMware and EMC SAN administration highly preferred
- Working familiarity with Cisco networking products including Cisco IOS highly preferred
- Technical proficiency in networking: LAN, WAN, VLAN, VPN, IP trunking, wireless 802.11x preferred.
- Preferred certifications include: MCM/MCSM, MCSE, MCITP, VCP/VCAP, CCNA, ITIL.
- Practical experience with traffic monitoring and management tools (e.g. WireShark, Netflow etc.) preferred.
- Experience with Microsoft SCCM and PowerShell a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
Physical Requirements (with or without reasonable accommodation)
- Visual Abilities: Read reports, create presentations and use a computer system.
- Hearing: Hear well enough to communicate with co-workers, vendors, and students.
- Dexterity, Grasping, Feeling: Write, type and use the telephone, copier, and computer systems.
- Mobility: Open files and operate office machines; move between departments and attend meetings across campus.
- Talking: Frequently convey detailed or important instructions and ideas accurately, loudly, or quickly.
- Lifting, Pulling, Pushing: Exert up to 50 pounds for force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Work in office environment, involving contact with faculty, staff, students, parents, service providers and vendors.
- Work has deadlines, multiple interruptions, high volume and may be stressful at times.
Please note: This job description does not constitute an exhaustive list of duties and management reserves the right to revise this job description at any time.
Queens is a private, co‐ed, Presbyterian‐affiliated University with 2,400 undergraduate and graduate students. It operates the College of Arts and Sciences, the McColl School of Business, the Wayland H. Cato Jr. School of Education, the James L. Knight School of Communication, Hayworth College for Adult Studies and the Andrew Blair College of Health, which features the Presbyterian School of Nursing.
Queens offers medical and dental insurance, same‐gender domestic partner benefits, defined contribution retirement plan & supplemental retirement plan, vacation and paid holidays, tuition remission, Queens‐paid life insurance, supplemental life insurance, dependent life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, flexible spending accounts (medical, dependent care, qualified transportation expense), sick leave and long‐term disability leave, FMLA leave, reduced cost meals at Morrison Dining Hall, employee assistance program (EAP), free fitness center access.
If this sounds like the right job for you, then use the button below to submit your resume. We look forward to receiving your application.