Technical Support Specialist
- Charlotte, NC
The Technical Support Specialist provides excellent first-tier technical support to university faculty, staff, and students for PC & Mac computers, enterprise & desktop applications, account management, printing, and more. They are the public face of the ITS division and represent the user perspective in all technical operations and project activities. This full-time, non-exempt position reports to the Director of User Support Services and is charged to understand the goals/objectives of that team and how it supports those of the ITS division.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Configure, manage, and troubleshoot PC and Mac hardware & software.
- Provide phone, in-person, and remote support to users contacting the IT Services Help Desk.
- Manage and upgrade classroom and computer lab technology.
- Address Help Desk tickets efficiently through resolving user issues or escalating to second-tier technicians.
- Support printing devices and the centralized print management system.
Non Essential Duties
- Special projects and additional duties as assigned to enhance the level of service and commitment to students, their families and the University.
Experience, Knowledge and Skills Required:
- Proficient with Microsoft Windows and Mac OSX hardware & software
- Proficient providing desktop application support
- Experience troubleshooting end-user wireless network connectivity
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Exceptional follow-up and follow-through skills as well as ability to plan, organize and control large and small projects through to completion
- Excellent customer service and critical thinking skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced office, ensuring timeframes and responsibilities are met
- Possess a logical and questioning mindset, ability to analytically solve simple and complex problems
- Ability to work with minimum supervision, as well as to accept directions on given assignments
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent in education and experience
Additional Experience, Knowledge, and Skills Desired
- Experience supporting virtual desktop environments
- Experience with Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager or equivalent
- Experience supporting cloud services like Office 365, Google Apps, or equivalent
- Experience supporting iOS, Android, and/or Windows devices
Physical Requirements (with or without reasonable accommodation)
- Visual Abilities: Read reports, create presentations and use a computer system.
- Hearing: Hear well enough to communicate with co-workers, vendors, and students.
- Dexterity, Grasping, Feeling: Write, type and use the telephone, copier, and computer systems.
- Mobility: Open files and operate office machines; move between departments and attend meetings across campus.
- Talking: Frequently convey detailed or important instructions and ideas accurately, loudly, or quickly.
- Lifting, Pulling, Pushing: Exert up to 50 pounds for force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Work in office environment, involving contact with faculty, staff, students, executives, donors, service providers and vendors.
- Work has deadlines, multiple interruptions, high volume and may be stressful at times.
Queens University of Charlotte is a private, co-educational, Presbyterian affiliated comprehensive university located in the heart of Charlotte, North Carolina, and is consistently ranked in the top tier of Southern Regional Masters Universities. The university has more than 2,400 undergraduate and graduate students in programs offered by the College of Arts and Sciences, the McColl School of Business, the James L. Knight School of Communication, the Wayland H. Cato Jr. School of Education, the Andrew Blair College of Health and the Presbyterian School of Nursing and Hayworth College of Graduate and Continuing Studies. Additional information about Queens University of Charlotte may be found at www.queens.edu/Queens-Overview.
Queens offers medical (PPO or a high deductible option with Health Savings Account), dental and vision insurance, domestic partner benefits, defined contribution retirement plan & supplemental retirement plan, paid holidays, tuition remission, Queens-paid life insurance, supplemental life insurance, dependent life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, flexible spending accounts (medical and dependent care), long-term disability insurance, FMLA leave, reduced-cost meals at Morrison Dining Hall, and employee assistance program (EAP).
If your skills, knowledge and experience match this position, we encourage you to use the button below to submit your application. Be prepared to upload a cover letter, resume or CV, and contact information on three professional references. We look forward to reviewing your application.