- New York, NY
Refinery29 is the cornerstone of fashion, beauty, and shopping for a new generation. Combining daily local newsletter editions and a website that serves as a global style hub, Refinery29 offers the only 360-degree source for shopping, exclusive deals, trends, beauty news, local hot-spots, and at-home sneak-peeks of fashion's finest. At Refinery29, great style isn't just a one-way obsession—it's a fast-changing world where readers talk, designers, brands, and shop-keepers engage, and great fashion influences everything.
Refinery29 is looking for a rock star Senior Editor who will work closely with the site's Deputy Editor, Managing Editor, and Senior Editorial staff. The Senior Editor is responsible for overseeing and top-editing content for various local channels (up to four) and providing support and mentoring to local editors, including generating story ideas, talent wrangling and shoot-production support, and writing content as needed.
This Editor will collaborate with the rest of the Senior Edit team to align on the comprehensive monthly schedule, representing said channels' ongoing requirements, including SEO and seasonal content. This position will also work with local editors and share the responsibility of meeting all traffic and local growth goals. He/she will be responsible for helping to maintain quality control and tone/style consistency across all chosen channels.
Conceive and write feature stories for both local and global channels
Cultivate a wide range of celebrity, influencer, and local contacts/talent, and help to increase awareness of the R29 brand
Top edit and schedule content, assign stories to contributors, and oversee and produce photo shoots
Keep a sharp eye on performance, social media strategies, and local-audience growth and engagement
Work closely with local editors in creating a short- and long-term editorial calendar, as well as work with the creative team to conceive original visuals and graphics
Plan and execute big-picture ideas to help grow and engage the R29 audience
Share and report on R29 growth and traffic goals
Represent the R29 brand in New York, from television and radio to other online outlets and print
- A minimum of 5 years in a writing and editing role within digital media; at least 2 years of management experience
- Solid rolodex of contacts within the fashion, beauty and lifestyle industries, with a clear understanding of talent wrangling best practices
- Superior top-editing skills and an ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- A healthy addiction to the Internet, fashion, and pop culture
- Experience working with social media and SEO strategies
- Strong, almost-obsessive knowledge of fashion, shopping, style, and beauty, as well as other lifestyle categories including home, dining, and entertaining
- Knowledge of local trends and interests in the above categories, as well as local venues and events
- Must be quick on his/her feet with a real talent for generating and finding fresh engaging content not just daily, but hourly
- Must be highly organized, and able to lead and inspire a team of editors
- Must be team-oriented, responsive, and comfortable collaborating, but also able to work independently
Does this sound like you? Please submit your resume and let us know why we should meet.