New York Editor
- Cooper Square, 4th Floor, New York, NY
Refinery29 is a rapidly-growing digital media company that delivers non-stop inspiration for living a more stylish and creative life. From fashion to beauty to products and shopping, Refinery29 takes its users on a constant journey of style discovery.
Since its inception in 2005, Refinery29 has focused on building a massive community through 24/7 original content. Refinery29’s highly engaged consumer base yields 7mm unique visitors and 1.5mm subscribers generating 100mm page views each month. In 2013, Refinery29 was rated #1 in Inc. Magazine’s Top 100 Media Companies and #11 in Inc.’s top New York companies. In 2013, Mashable recognized R29’s redesign as of the “15 Innovative Redesigns of 2013”.
The company recently raised a $20mm Series C (2013) round of funding. The company’s investors include Eastern Capital, FLOODGATE, First Round Capital, Hearst Corporation, Lerer Ventures, and Stripes Group.
The New York Editor at Refinery29 is a career-defining opportunity for a young editorial superstar whose love for NYC is surpassed only by his/her affinity for all things culture, food, fashion, nightlife — and, of course — all things R29.
The ideal candidate will have a strong, engaging, opinionated POV and voice that will define the authoritative-yet-accessible news and information of our site's largest local channel. Excellent sourcing and packaging skills and a firm grasp on grammar and the basics are essential. The next New York Editor must be obsessed with the details but also constantly be thinking and planning big-picture, regularly pitching smart and unexpected ideas AND new contributors/voices who will elevate R29's ever-expanding content coverage across a variety of categories.
The New York Editor must always be the first to know about the next big thing (before it blows up!), be familiar with local industries such as fashion, beauty, decor, food, nightlife, and be dialed in to New York's top stories, trends, and, personalities that represent the best-of-the-best of what R9 readers need to know.
- Edit and/or write 5-7 irresistible and informative posts a day across all R29 categories: Fashion, Decor, Wellness, Food, and Nightlife
- Curate, produce, and edit incredible and surprising monthly "Best Of" lists
- Create and manage monthly editorial newsletter features calendar
- Meet daily and monthly traffic goals
- Maintain a social media presence across all platforms
- Source the most vibrant and surprising voices to contribute to the NYC channel; assign and manage freelancers, editorial assistants, and interns
- Attend and review important local events and openings
- Be the face of R29 at all important New York based events
- Maintain and utilize contacts with PR and industry insiders for exclusive content on a wide-range of related topics (Fashion, Beauty, Food, Nightlife)
- Collaborate with photo department to manage imagery for all NY-related content, including design and photography requests (both in-house and sourced) for newsletter calendars and photo research for daily news and content posts
For consideration, you must submit your resume and link to your online portfolio or writing samples. Applications submitted without a portfolio cannot be considered.
R29 will not honor resumes submitted by recruiters for jobs posted on our website.