Satellite Data Support Scientist
- College Park, MD
Riverside Technology, inc. (Riverside), recognized internationally for providing innovative engineering, science, and information technology solutions to Federal and state agencies, private companies and international organizations, has an immediate opportunity for a Support Scientist working on site at NOAA/NESDIS/STAR in College Park, Maryland.
Riverside is seeking a Support Scientist to help develop and integrate scientific software used to process environmental satellite data. This work supports the Joint Center for Satellite Data Assimilation (JCSDA). You will help port and maintain various NOAA operational weather forecast models and data assimilation systems on research-dedicated platforms. At a minimum, you will be involved with:
• Gridpoint statistical interpolation (GSI)
• Global Data Assimilation System (GDAS)/Global Forecast System (GFS)
• Nonhydrostatic Mesoscale Model (NMM)
• Hurricane Weather Research and Forecasting (HWRF) model
• Verification and post-processing software
You will collaborate with JCSDA, National Environmental Satellite and Data Dissemination Service (NESDIS), National Weather Service (NWS), NASA, and University of Wisconsin to maintain the synchronization between research and operational versions of the assimilation and forecast models. Previous experience with regional and global data assimilation systems and techniques is a plus.
- Work with a team of Federal and contractor personnel to perform advanced scientific programming and numerical analysis to solve physical problems
- Analyzes, designs, codes, and documents complex applications for large-scale computers appropriate to scientific projects
- Use subversion to control and maintain the software models
- M.S. in Atmospheric Science, Oceanography, Other Physical Sciences, Physics, Astronomy, Engineering, or Mathematics
- At least four years of research related to science or engineering problems, or experience in either or both atmospheric and oceanographic research
- US citizenship is required
- Familiarity with satellite data assimilation techniques: 3DVAR/4DVAR, EnKF
- Experience with AIX and Linux, including shell scripting
- Proficiency in computer programming languages including FORTRAN and C. Much of this work is in FORTRAN
- Understand Message Passing Interface (MPI), Open Multiprocessing (OpenMP) and Perl Object Environment (POE)
- Familiarity with research to operations protocols
Location: College Park, Maryland
Riverside is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering very competitive compensation and exceptional employee benefits.